• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads
Forums
A thought re: game reporting - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards)
+-- Forum: The Firing Line (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Combat Mission (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: A thought re: game reporting (/showthread.php?tid=40711)

Pages: 1 2 3

A thought re: game reporting - The Coil - 05-29-2007

Maybe this has been discussed before, but it seems like there ought to be some distinction made between a 'real' total victory and a 'forfeit' total victory. Same points and all, but it'd be great to know who is dominating opponents and who is just playing flaky people... :)

Also be helpful to know if a player has forfeited a bunch of games, or just really stinks. I'll play someone who stinks, but maybe not someone who consistently flakes on games... ;)

Maybe there's a good reason not to make a distinction, maybe it's just a hassle to add it. Just thinking out loud...

RE: A thought re: game reporting - McIvan - 05-29-2007

Not a bad idea at all, and worth a bit of discussion. Personally if someone stops sending files, after six months or so I'll claim what I think would have been the end result, whether a minor, tactical, major or total. If they were winning when they disappeared, I would never claim a victory....it just wouldn't feel right.

Course from the hassle side of things, I have nary a clue as to how feasible adding a sort of forfeit marker would be.

RE: A thought re: game reporting - The Coil - 05-29-2007

RE: A thought re: game reporting - Colonel Talvela - 05-29-2007

i must have missed the graduated clickies discussion

RE: A thought re: game reporting - RedDevil - 05-29-2007

I'll mention this to our devoted webmaster and see where he thinks this could go. We also have to look at impact for the other games here as well as it would be an improvement for the entire club structure rather than just the CM area.
Also it would be impossible to make this retroactive so it would only progress forward once implemented.

RE: A thought re: game reporting - mcwkjoyce - 05-30-2007

I think these are great ideas. I haven't been at theblitz that long, but I have already had one player disappear on me about halfway through a game. (I was winning as the Germans in an early war scenario but saw some a couple of KV1s appear on the horizon.) I still would have won, but it was very hard to tell what the level of victory would be. I claimed a forfeit and a total victory. I am currently in another game and I haven't had a turn from my partner in more than two months and I am losing. I would feel a little strange claiming a total victory, but then again the opposite commander has disappeared from the battlefield.

TheCoil's idea of an asterisk is good, or if we want to get complicated we could implement some sort of weighed scale for how many turns you have actually completed of the scenario or operation. For example, if your playing partner disappears if the first battle of a six-battle operation maybe you could claim a minor victory, but he should get no points at all. This could be very difficult to apply in practice. I do like the idea of a forfeit as there should be no way he should get any points for disappearing.
Cheers,
Michael

RE:��A thought��game reporting - The Coil - 05-30-2007

RE:��A thought��game reporting - The Coil - 05-30-2007

mcwkjoyce Wrote:I think these are great ideas. I haven't been at theblitz that long, but I have already had one player disappear on me about halfway through a game.

Yeah, I've had a few disappear, one of 'em on the last turn of a game where I was beating him pretty bad - frustrating... I understand people are sometimes unable to finish games, I don't get why they can't let their opponents know about it, instead of just slinking off...

RE: A thought re: game reporting - tagcm - 05-30-2007

Quote:It can be found deep in this thread here (hey, how do you make the link say something like 'graduated clicky discussion'? Anyone know?):

Like this;
graduated clicky discussion

which is a square bracket thus: '[',immediately followed by 'url=http://the.url.you.want', close square bracket, ']' immediately after that 'the text you want to appear as the link' immediately followed by, open square bracket '[' immediately followed by '/url]' et voila! Throw in some onions and tomatoes and leave to simmer for twenty minutes. Alternatively use the handy widget, insert hyperlink, two to the left of insert quote and follow the instructions.

HTH

RE: ��A thought��game reporting - Colonel Talvela - 05-30-2007