• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads
Forums
Stupid things I have done... - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards)
+-- Forum: The Firing Line (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Combat Mission (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Stupid things I have done... (/showthread.php?tid=42345)

Pages: 1 2

Stupid things I have done... - The Coil - 09-20-2007

So I was just playing a game in which my Grille ended a turn having just rolled into LOS of a previously unspotted gun. Luckily (or wisely, whatever), the Grille had a move order plotted just ahead of his position, which I cleverly slid behind him a bit, so he could reverse back behind a patch of woods with no command delay, thus saving his life. Unluckily (or unwisely), I forgot to change the 'move' to 'reverse', so he got pegged as he slowly turned 180 degrees in place.

Got me wondering, what's the worst/stupidest unintentional error you've made in giving orders? Anyone got any good ones?

RE: Stupid things I have done... - Walkure - 09-20-2007

Got the timing wrong as to when the Arty would be done. didn't keep count of the ammo and charged my men into my own 155 vt barrageFiery

Walkure

RE: Stupid things I have done... - wigam - 09-20-2007

Mine is very recent. I am playing Rico in a domination games and on my last turn i turned around the map trying to correctly put a tank into a hull down position and looked at from the Axis side.
I forgot i was looking at it from the wrong way round and started him reversing to what i thought was back into allied lines.

On watching the replay i understood rico's question.

"Did we see this right... was one of your tanks reversing towards us???"

My poor old tank was fried from a shot by a PZ-IV. :hissy:

And there was me thinking that the armour is toughest at the rear.

RE: Stupid things I have done... - Skeld (FGM) - 09-20-2007

Lets see...I left an arty spotter right where he started once, right in the back right corner and forgot about him. You know one of those big ones that cost like 350 freekin points and a radioless Russian one to boot. By the time I discovered him and got him into a good spot to use it the game was almost over and only got the end of the last turns worth of shots out of him. Eek :hissy: Fiery

RE: Stupid things I have done... - Copper - 09-20-2007

The age old dumb screwup where you use the "Move" command to a waypoint that potentially crosses an enemy unit in the woods ahead of you. Upon getting shot, they hit the ground and continue to "crawl" forward in an attempt to continue to their waypoint, instead of stopping and returning fire, effectively gutting them by one man for every extra inch they move.

Using the "contact" command stops them short upon getting shot at so they can return fire, but also will often leave you hanging when a single shot or shell landing nearby will halt an entire company of "contact" moving infantry. This often results in beer bottles being hucked at the monitor as your infantry who should have ended the turn at the end of your waypoint, dolefully stopped 5m from where they began because "someone heard a bang somewhere".

At least moving them with an advance command would have allowed them to shoot back, although they would have continued to move forward and get reduced further.

Cheers!

Leto

RE: Stupid things I have done... - Ratzki - 09-20-2007

I would have to say that me laying down a great smoke screen to provide an exit route for a MG team that caused my 122mm arty to lose LOS and deliver enough HE off target to mess up a (what should have been) great sneak attack with about a Company of infantry. Artillery always seems to be much more deadly when landing on friendly troops.

RE: Stupid things I have done... - kineas - 09-20-2007

Rushing across the snow covered hills with my Green SU-85, when he went on a 45sec deep thinking about the next waypoint in the most dangerous spot, with a totally exposed side to a 75mm PAK. I think he was wasted within 10 sec.

RE: Stupid things I have done... - bluehand - 09-20-2007

in Bridgeattack against Kru I forgot that the setup didn't allow germans to do pre planned barrages on the first turn. When I realized this I was already set up for a first turn targeted smoke screen, with my spotters out of range to give los smoke cover. I was eager to play the scenario and in such a hurry to get the turn back and start play that I just went with it anyway. I charged a platoon of pioneers at a trench full of inf and two platoons in dingys at a machine gun and a tank, with no support what so ever. 2 turns later I surrendered.

RE: Stupid things I have done... - Koen - 09-20-2007

stupidities...how many do you want?

firing an 88 close to a church with the waveblast knocking out the gun

pointing a mortar HT with his nose forward so that he has to make a 180 before being able to fire a shot

doubting between 'fast' and 'hunt' and always making the wrong 'hunt' choice making the vehicle an easy slow target

buying too many fixed turrets in QB's

using rockets on a small map killing even more of my own troops [remember: small map=small calobres]

trying to order a vehicle through small openings between woods making the commander turn around and go for a different route...in the enemy's LOF

these are only the most recent ones...:hissy:

RE: Stupid things I have done... - Der Kuenstler - 09-20-2007

My "reverse" and "rotate" lines are the same lavender color which has periodically resulted in a precious AFV turning around instead of backing up. Doh! (I have my commands programmed into a Nostromo so I don't use the letters on the keyboard.)