• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads
Forums
How do I order infantry to assult a tank in CMBB? - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards)
+-- Forum: The Firing Line (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Combat Mission (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: How do I order infantry to assult a tank in CMBB? (/showthread.php?tid=42653)

Pages: 1 2

How do I order infantry to assult a tank in CMBB? - Rope - 10-12-2007

In CMBO I could set a movement order destination to enemy vehicle, but this doesn't seem to work in CMBB. How can I order infantry to close-assault a tank?

Pol, if you're reading this, then you know what to expect when I post my next turn to you. I hope that you ordered your pesky KV-1 to leave my hill so that my troops can have their picnic cheers. Tell your pioneers that they have two minutes to take their stroganoff and Vodka and go home, you hear.

-Rope

RE: How do I order infantry to assult a tank in CMBB? - Der Kuenstler - 10-12-2007

First make sure your squad stays in "OK" condition, preferably led by a good combat and stealth rated commander. Try to have a sniper button up the tank so it can't see well. Put a 30 meter cover arc on your assaulting squad. Put your squad on "move to contact & hide" through some good cover near the tank. Next turn sneak them within 30 meters of the tank (stay in cover) - if not fired upon they'll then sit up on their own and throw their charges.

RE: How do I order infantry to assult a tank in CMBB? - Copper - 10-13-2007

Der Kuenstler Wrote:First make sure your squad stays in "OK" condition, preferably led by a good combat and stealth rated commander. Try to have a sniper button up the tank so it can't see well. Put a 30 meter cover arc on your assaulting squad. Put your squad on "move to contact & hide" through some good cover near the tank. Next turn sneak them within 30 meters of the tank (stay in cover) - if not fired upon they'll then sit up on their own and throw their charges.

Good stuff Kel... you should also use the 'advance' command that considers your infantry unit for ranged attacks on the fly, or 'assault' if you just want to get them there... the assault command preserves morale somewhat, causing less retreats and routes, but can also end the lives of a lot of your men, because they keep closing in on the waypoint...

Also, if your men are fit, OK, and lead by a good leader, you can place a 'movement' order onto an enemy vehicle or tank, that will issue a 'follow vehicle' command. They infantry unit will then move towards the tank and chase it even if it moves until they become Tired or pinned and routed.

When dealing with Panzerfausts, make sure you have a covered armor arc on your infantry for no more than half the distance of the good range of the PF model 30', 60', or 100'. The to hits are very similar to a panzershreck I have found, so that unlike grenade bundles and mines, (that are a close assault attack and thus a 50/50 proposition for a hit), PF may be less amenable to good to hit results at the 30' range where those grenades and bundles might be.

For Russian soldiers, or any molotov cocktail carrying troops, split squads and attack with the non-assault half, as they will usually not get the MC's in the split exchange and therefore hurl grenades. I always wondered why one very good opponent of mine was getting such good results killing AFV's with Soviet troops until I figured out he was using half squads. Nice little trick.

For Pioneers of all nationalities, your DC's will be thrown at 30', but if you are just out of range, and the advance forward precarious, even by just a few feet, throw the DC as close to the AFV as possible, (at least 5-10') and the concussive explosion will usually immobilize, damage gun, or outright kill most light and even heavy AFV's). Check the side and underneath armor protection before throwing, it will help you with your decision to do this. IF a StuG or Hetzer, with very strong font armor, but notoriously weak underwear (armor) on the side or underneath (the old czech chassis were still old czech chassis, and thus not well armored), then a DC going off on the ground anywhere near them usually light them up.

Lastly, your troops are more likely to attack an AFV if they have the equipment needed. Thus, a german unit with only 1 potato masher will throw less likely than a german unit with 4 PF. In one game against Geordie, his panzergrenadier squad ripped off 4 PF's in under 7 seconds, killing my Jumbo Sherman on the last delivery. It was a harrowing experience with all the PHHT PHHT PHHT coming out of the woods.

One last trick that most people may not realize, but infantry at higher levels (2nd level buildings) have a longer reach than those on the ground. Tanks thinking they are safe from grenades at 40', thinking the infantry can only get nasty on them at 30 or under, will be surprised when they find grenades being lobbed from the top buildings UP TO 45 FEET. Few people realize this has been modeled into the game, as grenades lobbed on top of weak topped armor is quite effective, even if frontal armor is very good. Make sure you look at the enemy AFV ratings for top armor. Regardless of where you are, a Molotov Cocktail will always sail further than a grenade (as their purpose is to be thrown). Thus you can fire attack tanks at up to 45' with your split squad that has the MC's, and then sneak forward with your other split squad that hopefully got none of the MC's and can get into 30' for a grenade close assault attack.

Last thing: .50 cal HMG and German Spandau can kill a lightly armored rear of a STuG, Wolverine, or other lightly armored assault guns, like Marders and Columbina's... etc... these can be taken out even by a front attack by a heavy MG.

Remember: buttoned tanks are susceptible to infantry attacks when they do not have infantry support. Thus as DK suggests, a very good argument for choosing at least 2-3 snipers when you can.

Hope this helps!

(all clickies appreciated!)

Cheers!

Leto

RE: How do I order infantry to assult a tank in CMBB? - The Coil - 10-13-2007

^hirr^Leto Wrote:One last trick that most people may not realize, but infantry at higher levels (2nd level buildings) have a longer reach than those on the ground. Tanks thinking they are safe from grenades at 40', thinking the infantry can only get nasty on them at 30 or under, will be surprised when they find grenades being lobbed from the top buildings UP TO 45 FEET.

Huh - learn something new every day...

Also realize that there's nothing you can do to hurry your boys up - sometimes they'll just sit there for a turn or two mustering the courage to attack, as the tank rolls out out range.

^hirr^Leto Wrote:(all clickies appreciated!)

And I'm the single minded clickie obsessed undead guy????

RE: How do I order infantry to assult a tank in CMBB? - McIvan - 10-13-2007

Will also point out that the base range for infantry assaults with grenades, at ground level, is 40 feet, not 30 feet (which is more synonymous with satchel charges and stuff like that). The chance, however, of a close assault occurring decreases with range.

RE: How do I order infantry to assult a tank in CMBB? - kineas - 10-13-2007

actually it's yards/meters, whichever you prefer

RE: How do I order infantry to assult a tank in CMBB? - McIvan - 10-13-2007

Quite right!

RE: How do I order infantry to assult a tank in CMBB? - Pol - 10-13-2007

Rope, I have already deployed lots of vodka to that picnic hill, so my troops will not retreat now under any circumstance :). BTW, quite a good spotting ability for you to know, that my infantry there are pioneers.
I think all of the good advice of people here is usless considering that your infantry is in the open, fully localized and fired at with canister ammo from that KV-1. That's what I call to be in a wrong place at wrong time. Nobody will attack under fire in the open (although that one squad almost made it).

RE: How do I order infantry to assult a tank in CMBB? - PoorOldSpike - 10-14-2007

[Image: t34.png]

RE: How do I order infantry to assult a tank in CMBB? - Chipmunk - 10-14-2007

Is there a consolidated chart somewhere that shows the ranges that different things can be chucked?