• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads
Forums
Amazing - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards)
+-- Forum: The Firing Line (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Combat Mission (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Amazing (/showthread.php?tid=47764)

Pages: 1 2

Amazing - Hedgehog - 08-27-2008

I was brooding over the the ladder table looking at our many points I have got, then looked at the guys at the top end, the only conclusion I have come to you must have been playing CM as you were being Born.......LOL

Well done Lads

Cheers Ted

RE: Amazing - PoorOldSpike - 08-27-2008

Don't take the Blitz ladder too seriously mate, it's too over-complicated for its own good and is riddled with mathematical quirks, it badly needs streamlining

RE: Amazing - Kelen - 08-27-2008

PoorOldSpike Wrote:Don't take the Blitz ladder too seriously mate, it's too over-complicated for its own good and is riddled with mathematical quirks, it badly needs streamlining

I hesitate to ask, but what are you finding so complicated?

W/L/D: Speaks for itself
Win %: Out of the total games played, straight forward percentage
SK = winning streak: Again, straight forward
Scr: Total score for all reported games
ELO: A total score for all reported games but the points are calulated not just on whether you W/L/D but are relative to the calibre of your opponent. Possibly the only complex one out of the lot, (and only because I've not seen how it's calculated).

This topic has come up a couple of times in recent months.

You raised it back in July,

"Personally I think the ladder is too complicated for its own good and badly needs streamlining because as it stands it's impossible to answer the simple question "Who's the ladder leader?" because there are so many of 'em depending on which category button you click!
But if everybody else is happy with the system i'll shut up"

The only person to respond said they were happy as it is.

And in the recent 'What are you ladder goals thread" started by Der Kuenstler, It appeared that everyone either looked for different things in the ladder anyway, or weren't bothered about it at all.

Now I'm not being intentionally awkward here, but In the absence of any evidence to the contrary I would had thought that it appears that most people are happy with it as it is.

I appreciate that only small numbers of people have replied, but I would have thought that if people did feel strongly about it that they would have spoken up.

What kind of streamlining were you proposing anyway? (Maybe if you put forward suggestions people may be induced to respond).

RE: Amazing - Hedgehog - 08-27-2008

Well like Kelen says it seem pretty straight forward to me, and really we shouldn't take away the dedication to the Blitz and the competition amongst the players, I would think top position in the ladders are well earnt.

Keep up the good work Gentleman

cheers Ted

RE: Amazing - PoorOldSpike - 08-27-2008

EDIT- on second thoughts none of my business..;)

RE: Amazing - Mad Baron - 08-27-2008

I like the Ladder for many reasons I mentioned before. I know I can't hope to ever top folks who play more, and for longer, than me. But I can gleen insights as to how I'm doing when I compare my various stats with other players.

What is the Blitz motto after all? Something like, to acknowledge the best, to connect the regulars, etc., etc.?

I see the Ladder almost like American baseball stats. Who had the most homeruns in x-number of games played, who had the best batting average, the most hits, runs batted in, strike-outs, etc. It is a fun and useful table of results...and anyone can use it for what they're looking for. And my hat is off to everyone at the top...and also to everyone else who just keeps slugging away in the middle or at the bottom (like me)! haha

(Not to mention, you can find and challenge players from the Ladder...)

I like the Ladder...and, of course, there is even a link to check up on the players/results from the most recent games played.....

RE: Amazing - Ratzki - 08-27-2008

This is why I have been posting the Ladder results with the criteria that I have. I use the last 12 months as a filter and 10+ games reported in that time. I look at only the win% and the ELO score. This way, I find gives everyone a chance to break into the top 10, and every month that it is done is the same as the previous one so I am comparing apples to apples. Just look at the last post of Ladder results that I put up and you can see the movement that can happen, and someone who reports 10 games can be juged along with the players that report 100 games over the same period. Will there be some scewed results?... Sure, but sometimes the poorer team wins the trophy in any sport, just because they can put together a little streak at the right time. Same here, go 10 for 10 in a year against the top players and you will find yourself near the top 10 if not in it. It allows for the showing of some "movers and shakers" without having to be here playing for 4+ years. And it is all in competative fun anyhow.

RE: Amazing - Kelen - 08-27-2008

Ratzki Wrote:This is why I have been posting the Ladder results with the criteria that I have. I use the last 12 months as a filter and 10+ games reported in that time. I look at only the win% and the ELO score. This way, I find gives everyone a chance to break into the top 10, and every month that it is done is the same as the previous one so I am comparing apples to apples. Just look at the last post of Ladder results that I put up and you can see the movement that can happen, and someone who reports 10 games can be juged along with the players that report 100 games over the same period. Will there be some scewed results?... Sure, but sometimes the poorer team wins the trophy in any sport, just because they can put together a little streak at the right time. Same here, go 10 for 10 in a year against the top players and you will find yourself near the top 10 if not in it. It allows for the showing of some "movers and shakers" without having to be here playing for 4+ years. And it is all in competative fun anyhow.

Totally agree Ratzki, and It's interesting to see how looking at only a 12 month period can change the look of the top of the ladder. (Still not expecting to see myself there anytime soon, but it does give others a crack at the top).

I for one hope you keep posting these snapshots. Cheers.

RE: Amazing - Saint Ruth - 08-28-2008

Bootie's 826 games isn't just Amazing, it's Astounding Eek!

I like the ladder as is...and although I'll never get to page one on score, I can still slowly creep up from page 6 to page 5 etc... :)

RE: Amazing - Hedgehog - 08-28-2008

Saint Ruth Wrote:Bootie's 826 games isn't just Amazing, it's Astounding Eek!

I like the ladder as is...and although I'll never get to page one on score, I can still slowly creep up from page 6 to page 5 etc... :)

Always good competition on the lower pages, makes it very interesting, that is some thing I have always mentioned on earlier posts.....Keep studying the lower pages

cheers Ted