• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads
Forums
CM Moderator - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards)
+-- Forum: The Firing Line (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Combat Mission (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: CM Moderator (/showthread.php?tid=48053)

Pages: 1 2 3

CM Moderator - Steel God - 09-16-2008

Shane, aka Bootie, has stepped down as the CM Community Leader, citing a lack of time because of personal commitments. With Wigam's time limited as well by personal issues I will be TEMPORARILY assuming the duties in the CM Community. My desk is full enough, so I have no desire or intention to do this full time.

Members interested in discussing the possibility of assuming these duties can contact me publicly or privately as they so choose.

RE: CM Moderator - Mad Russian - 09-16-2008

Steel God Wrote:Shane, aka Bootie, has stepped down as the CM Community Leader, citing a lack of time because of personal commitments. With Wigam's time limited as well by personal issues I will be TEMPORARILY assuming the duties in the CM Community. My desk is full enough, so I have no desire or intention to do this full time.

Members interested in discussing the possibility of assuming these duties can contact me publicly or privately as they so choose.

I can see where this is an "interesting" job.

Just out of curiosity what are the job requirements anyway?

Good Hunting.

MR

RE: CM Moderator - Steel God - 09-16-2008

Community Leaders do the following (not in any particular order).

1) Keep the ladder and Boot Camp cleared of inactive players.

2) Award bonuses and medals to community members as they are earned.

3) Moderate the forum in a manner consistent with the published RoEs.

4) Coordinate their activities with senior staff and/or the other Community Leaders as appropriate.

That's the minimum we expect from a Community Leader. However, Community Leaders are free to develop and grow their communities in any way which does not directly conflict with the Club's published RoEs or our Mission Statement. In other words, I try and stay out of the individual ladder communities and concentrate on the over all Club issues, while the Community Leaders do as they deem prudent in their forums.

The best Community Leaders do a great deal more than the minimum however, and that is usually the difference between the average and best communities. Examples of that would be encouraging and/or the running of Tournaments; encouraging the development of player scenarios and testing; encouraging the writing of articles and AAR/DARs; and generally being a positive force in the development of the group.

No doubt I've missed something, but off the top of my head, that's the Blitz as I see it.

RE: CM Moderator - British Tommy - 09-17-2008

I think Mad Russian would make a good mod for this board. He's well respected within the CM community and I'm sure others would agree with me :)

RE: CM Moderator - Hawk Kriegsman - 09-17-2008

Just replace the word Hawk with the word Bootie.

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/showthread.php?tid=47055&page=2

Thanx!

Hawk

RE: CM Moderator - Copper - 09-17-2008

LOL Hawk... I do believe I lasted a bit longer than you.

I believe the wager was the first out the door had to parade round the Blitz Square naked.

RE: CM Moderator - Mad Russian - 09-17-2008

Steel God Wrote:Community Leaders do the following (not in any particular order).

1) Keep the ladder and Boot Camp cleared of inactive players.

Easy enough.

Quote:2) Award bonuses and medals to community members as they are earned.

Easy enough.

Quote:3) Moderate the forum in a manner consistent with the published RoEs.
[/qoute]

Now this one seems to be the sticking point. It all seems to revolve around that one word, CONSISTANT, that the CM forums have had a problem with.

[quote]
4) Coordinate their activities with senior staff and/or the other Community Leaders as appropriate.

A bit more involved depending on the level of activities.

Quote:No doubt I've missed something, but off the top of my head, that's the Blitz as I see it.

Well, I think you've missed the big issue for a new Mod.

POS.

See there are those that think that the #3 you quote above doesn't apply equally to all members. Especially POS. Now, I'm not sure that's true but the privacy issues that the Blitz uses, where things are done continually behind closed doors with PM's and emails keep adding fuel to that fire.

My main question is how much latitude would the CM Mod in handling the CM forums? Could he bring the forum business out into the forums where the issues and resolutions could be seen and commented on by the members? Or is the way you do things now the preferred way?

As you know, I'm all for EQUAL and CONSISTANT moderation. CONSISTANT though seems to mean different things to different people.

Obviously the mod doesn't have to be a ladder player. What level of involvement does he have in keeping the ladder standings current etc.?

What is the Blitz policy about decisions that were made in the past? Are they set in stone? Or are they open to debate with the other mods and you about possibly changing outcomes of past decisions?

Is this totally up to you? Done by committee? Jim decides?

Thanks for taking the time and effort to try to clearly define the role of the new CM Mod. I think that, maybe in the past, there were some issues that weren't clear until the Mod took over....

Most people don't like surprises when it comes to taking up their free time.

Good Hunting.

MR

RE: CM Moderator - Mad Russian - 09-17-2008

Bootie Wrote:LOL Hawk... I do believe I lasted a bit longer than you.

I believe the wager was the first out the door had to parade round the Blitz Square naked.

Ummmm...can the two of you do that with the lights off late at night please??? :whis:

Good Hunting.

MR

RE: CM Moderator - Lord Bane - 09-17-2008

MR,
LOL....I am not trying to be an arse and I have nothing against you and think your a good guy. But I am surprised that you are interested in the CM Mod job. You are the guy who made the comment that CM would be dead in two years. I think that was about a year ago now....only one year to go on your theory. Well I will give you a year and a half to be fair because I can't remember the date. I still disagree with your assessment though.
If you do take over as the CM MOD then I have some advice for what ever it is worth. You guys make way too much of POS posts IMO. Let the guy have his say. If it is dumb, and it is sometimes, then just ignore it. He is a very polarizing force but he only does it to fire you guys up. And it works EVERY...SINGLE....TIME! You have to admire POS for his ability to get inside some of you guys heads with his propaganda....LMAO. The outrage and fury starts immediately. It is actually something of a twisted art form to be sure. Have you heard the saying "Like a Moth to the Flame"?
Lord Bane (FGM)

RE: CM Moderator - Steel God - 09-17-2008

Mad Russian Wrote:Well, I think you've missed the big issue for a new Mod.

POS.

See there are those that think that the #3 you quote above doesn't apply equally to all members. Especially POS. Now, I'm not sure that's true but the privacy issues that the Blitz uses, where things are done continually behind closed doors with PM's and emails keep adding fuel to that fire.

At the end of the day, Mick is a member like any other, and is expected to abide by the same rules as everyone else. He's also entitled to the protections as the other players.

Mad Russian Wrote:My main question is how much latitude would the CM Mod in handling the CM forums? Could he bring the forum business out into the forums where the issues and resolutions could be seen and commented on by the members? Or is the way you do things now the preferred way?

Well, as a general rule, the senior Staff should stay out of the forums unless there's a reason for us to be there. Doesn't mean we don't read threads and kibitz like any other member, but as a general rule, we shouldn't be "moderating" the forums routinely. Towards that end I have always told the Mods that the communities they run are theirs to run as they see fit, provided what they are doing is not in direct contravention of the Club rules. Like the recent email-a-thon that several of you engaged in this weekend, I read everything but refrained from voicing an opinion. I do this to empower the Moderator to run the show as he deems best for his community, and in the event that I am asked to make a ruling on appeal, I have not prejudiced myself by participating in the original ruling. But to answer your question directly, I don't particularly care if business is conducted "in the open" as you say, provided it's the business of that community. I would take a dim view of the private business of the Club being discussed anywhere other than privately. Not sure if that answers yor question or not Steve.

Mad Russian Wrote:As you know, I'm all for EQUAL and CONSISTANT moderation. CONSISTANT though seems to mean different things to different people.

I'm for equal and consistent as well, and believe that Shane was too. being human we're all open to interpretation of that, and therein lies the rub. I suspect that would be true no matter who wears the hat.

Mad Russian Wrote:Obviously the mod doesn't have to be a ladder player. What level of involvement does he have in keeping the ladder standings current etc.?

The ladder is automated almost fully. The only part that isn't is the removal of players from active to inactive status, and vice-versa, which is semi-automated but requires a review by the Leaders to approve it. As mentioned previously, issuing medals and bonuses requires a review process as well. Generally speaking these tasks are something you do once a week or every two weeks.

Mad Russian Wrote:What is the Blitz policy about decisions that were made in the past? Are they set in stone? Or are they open to debate with the other mods and you about possibly changing outcomes of past decisions?

Is this totally up to you? Done by committee? Jim decides?

Nothing is permanent, but the decision to change things depends upon what we're talking about. You'd have to be more specific. In Jim's absence I would be the person making those decisions. Sometimes I solicit opinions from the other staffers, sometimes I just decide. Jim operates the same way.

Mad Russian Wrote:Thanks for taking the time and effort to try to clearly define the role of the new CM Mod. I think that, maybe in the past, there were some issues that weren't clear until the Mod took over....

Most people don't like surprises when it comes to taking up their free time.

Thanks for your interest.