• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads
Forums
Red Orchestra ? - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards)
+-- Forum: The Firing Line (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Combat Mission (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Red Orchestra ? (/showthread.php?tid=48432)

Pages: 1 2

Red Orchestra ? - Jobu88 - 10-08-2008

Anybody own / play the game Red Orchestra? If so, can you give a review of its good and bad features?

RE: Red Orchestra ? - Kelen - 10-08-2008

Yes I've played RO. It's a good game, although looking a little long in the tooth now compared to some other FPS.

Good points;

- well it's got vehicles, (which straight away gives it a plus over thing such as COD4!)
- combat is fairly hardcore in so much as you have to lead your targets and allow for fall of shot over distance, and yes 1 shot kills

Not so good points;
- the landscape isn't destructable, e.g. you can't drive throuhg a wooden fence with your Tiger!! (most annoying)
- no single player campaign, you can practice against the AI but it's designed as MMO only
- the built in 'talk' commands are in German and Russian, which although realistic is a right pain when your team mates haven't got a mic set up and are trying to give you instructions, (yes I could learn, but listening for instuctions in the heat of battle is one thing, but having to then translate them means the difference between life & death - and it was normally death in my case)

For combined arms MMO WWII games out there it's very good, and I still don't think that's there's anything around to compare to it at the moment.

RE: Red Orchestra ? - British Tommy - 10-09-2008

Kelen summed up the game well. I used to enjoy COD (not 4) especially with mods installed but RO is much more realistic. When I play it, I'm usually the first to get shot! :(

RE: Red Orchestra ? - Aegis - 10-11-2008

I played RO competitively since the UT version of it. I am over the game now due to the fact that they haven't updated it...I think the game has hit a ceiling. I am a huge fan of it, but I am somber over the whole damn thing..

RE: Red Orchestra ? - Jobu88 - 10-11-2008

How about Armed Assault? Any other games in the FPS style that you can recommend?

Also do any Combat Mission players play FPS games?

RE: Red Orchestra ? - Der Kuenstler - 10-12-2008

I thought call of duty 2 was fun for a switch...

RE: Red Orchestra ? - Aegis - 10-14-2008

Armed Assault is great, get in with the game, and find the right group. I am a ShackTac member and the MP on saturday afternoons are amazing. Sadly its not WW2, but its still fun.

RE: Red Orchestra ? - Jobu88 - 10-14-2008

I purchased RO (only $19.99) and I must say, it doesn't do it for me. Will try Armed Assault.

RE: Red Orchestra ? - Jobu88 - 12-01-2008

This is a personal endorsement for anyone who's been thinking about getting Call of Duty 5 World at War for their PC. It rocks. And in general I do not play shooter games since I'm too old to keep up with the kids. Very entertaining single player, and multi-player online (for free, by the way) is a hoot. You alternate playing a US Marine and a Soviet infantryman in single player. Multiplayer is either German v. Russian or USMC v. Japanese.

I will also endorse Call of Duty 4, with the stipulation that I play only on a server that prohibits the usual run-n-gun tactics that the kids use.

Blood Brigade http://www.bloodbrigade.net/bb/

They enforce walking in a crouch or with the sight up ( no running) and they also ban the special magic abilities that are available in the game. Very entertaining. I haven't played shooter games in nearly a decade, but I love these two.

RE: Red Orchestra ? - Der Kuenstler - 12-01-2008

Yeah I was thinking about getting COD World at war - looks pretty cool. One weird thing I read read though is that you can shoot Nazi zombies??