• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

DER KUENSTLER WINS PERIMETER TOURNEY!
07-01-2008, 01:09 PM,
DER KUENSTLER WINS PERIMETER TOURNEY!
This hallowed silver cup will be mailed to Der Kuenstler's home address..:)

[Image: PerimDK.png]

Here's the final screen, he bought no tanks, just a German infantry army backed up by lots of guns and schrecks which ground my armour down to iron filings..
[Image: DK-endk.png]

Endgame shot- My Russians gave their all in the meatgrinder assault on the hills outpost; 2 dead German guns, 4 dead T-34's and a crater-pocked landscape attest to the ferocity of the battle..
[Image: DKendl.gif]

Endgame shot- In the marshes sector my Russians seized the flag but all the tanks and halftracks were subsequently wrecked and the flag reverted to German possession.(The halftracks were very flimsy, HMG bursts got some of them). 3 x T-34's broke through to the airfield but were wrecked and can be seen littering the runway in background..
[Image: DKendm.gif]

------------------------------------------------------------------

And here are the other screenshots from our game in chronological order-
Der Kuenstler's Germans have garrisoned this key wood which guards the approach to the hills outpost flag in background; my T-34's can't see deeply enough into the trees to engage them so i send in a massive infantry attack to flush them out..
[Image: dks-1.gif]
------------------------------------------------------------

Der Kuenstler's Germans give my Russian infantry a bloody nose..
Even with T-34's in close support, his gun and infantry cut down my boys as they attempt to cross nomansland..
[Image: dkg.gif]
-----------------------------------------------------------

Der Kuenstler's gun goes on a killing spree, knocking out these 2 x T-34's in quick succession, while his infantry slaughter my Russian infantry wave.
The gun was engaged by the tanks and some infantry but still kept on firing while no doubt shouting to his mates- "hey kameraden, i'll show you how to win the Iron Cross!"
[Image: dkqqq.gif]
---------------------------------------------------------

After capturing the small flag at the marshes outpost at bottom left, I wheel my T-34/85's into line astern formation for an attack on the richest prize on the map- Der Kuenstler's airfield and its large flag..
[Image: dka.gif]

But before I can move off he launches a spoiling attack with a fusillade of schrecks and fausts (red fire lanes) killing two T-34's and making the rest mill around in confusion. Only the T-34 leader gets through and finds himself alone at the tip of the arrow, frantically radioing "where are my comrades?"
[Image: dkb.gif]

The punch-drunk T-34's turrets swing like crazy looking for whoever's firing at them..
[Image: dkc.gif]
Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2008, 01:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-01-2008, 02:39 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
RE: DER KUENSTLER WINS PERIMETER TOURNEY!
Der Kuenstler's German squad punishes my T-34 for breaking the first rule in the tank driver's handbook-"Never drive within 40metres (grenade-throwing range) of any terrain that could be concealing enemy infantry"
(Okay i'll take the rap for driving them too close but my excuse is they'd been under schreck attack from behind in the previous turn and I was racing them down the runway to get away in a hurry..)
[Image: dk-gren.gif]
---------------------------------------------------------------

At last I'm able to silence Der Kuenstler's troublesome gun, just look at the havoc its been wreaking against my T-34's..
My last 2 T-34's can't see it (and it can't see them) because of intervening smoke from burning wrecks, so I use the well-known tactic of area-firing into the ground next to the gun, and the blast knocks it out.
(Note the blank panel (white circle) in its datastrip, that's how we know if a gun or infantry unit is kaput)
[Image: area-fvgun.gif]
----------------------------------------------------------------

With the battle in overtime I play my final card against the main flag by sending 2 x T-34's to establish a presence near it to hopefully at least turn it neutral, I kept them in the centre of the runway out of grenade range but Der Kuenstler's invisible schrecks/fausts mercilessly cut them down. (The third T-34 in flames further down the runway was brewed by a grenade a few turns previously)
[Image: Dk-whsh.gif]
------------------------------------------------------------------

PERIMETER TOURNEY FINAL RANKINGS
Red=beat POS, Amber=Drew, Green=POS won.
Number to right of dash is POS's score.
Figure in brackets is the one that counts to decide the tourney champion, it's the points differential between winner and loser. Listing is in alphabetical order where scores are tied

Der Kuenstler (Ger) 86-14 (+72)
RNL Tiger (Ger) 84-16 (+68)
GAZ NZ (Ger) 79-21 (+58)
ER Chaser (Ger) 78-22 (+56)
Tripps (Ger) 71-29 (+42)
Huzaar (Ger) 70-30 (+40)
Mt.Carmel Hill (Ger) 70-30 (+40)
Stndrtnfhr (Russ) 70-30 (+40)
2054172 (Ger) 68-32 (+36)
Waleed (Ger) 67-33 (+34)
Combat Wombat (Ger) 62-38 (+24)
Herrbixx (Ger) 62-38 (+24)

Seel (Ger) 56-44 (+12)
CMant (Russ) 45-55 (-10)
Odies (Russ) 45-55 (-10)

Mugger2006 (Ger) 42-58 (-16)
Andre (Ger) 41-59 (-18)
Airborne Bob (Ger) 40-60 (-20)
Michael Dorosh (Russ) 40-60 (-20)
Mangus2000 (Russ) 31-69 (-38)
Bert Blitzkrieg (Russ) 28-72 (-44)
Guderian (Ger) 5-95 (-90)
[/size]

POS Won=7, Drew=3, Lost=12
Germans won 14, Russians won 5
Tourney ended June 30th 2008
(4 players didn't beat the finish deadline, one of the games is still ongoing but the final result won't count for the tourney. The other 3 vanished for various reasons)

All Blitz members who took part will find the Perimeter cyber-medal in their player stats, plus 50 bonus Blitz ladder points (100 for winner Der Kuenstler)
I've organised 5 Tourneys over the past year and every competitor gets a cyber-medal at Blitz as below

[Image: tournmds-1.png]

And for the record the tourney winners were-
PERIMETER- Der Kuenstler
TRIDENT- Guderian
MALITZ- Der Kuenstler
PRIPET- Marshall666
BRITSv21Pz- Herroberst
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE- Many of the competitors combat footage screenshots from all the tourneys have been posted in the Tactical Discussion> Combat Gallery thread for posterity and will no doubt be closely scrutinised in military academies throughout the known universe down the millennia, right Commander Kor?

"Yes, there is much to be learned from studying the battle exploits of honourable ancient warriors"..
[Image: CmdKor.png]
07-01-2008, 01:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-01-2008, 03:07 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
MORE DETAILS OF THE TOURNEY

[Image: perm.png]

The format was simple - everybody played just ONE game (against me), and whoever beat me by the biggest score won the trophy inscribed with his name, piece o' cake..:)
As designer/organiser I forbad myself from winning it under any circumstances (sniffle), all I could hope for was to pick up a few ladder points.
I let my oppos choose which side they wanted to be, most chose German..
Incidentally I got no advantage by designing Perimeter myself, I designed my previous tourney (Trident) too and lost 20 out of the 25 games..

Perimeter began May 1st 08 and ended midnight June 30th 08 (an 8-week run)
I did at least 2 action screenshots from every game including an endgame shot of the final front lines buckling and heaving..

THE PARAMETERS (cmbb), it was a QB, so competitors could buy whatever 'tools' they liked to do the job..
[Image: Peripars.gif]

THE FIELD (I've enlarged the flags in the pics for clarity, 1 large on the airfield, 8 small around the perimeter for a total of 1100 points)
The Russians start anywhere in the surrounding red zone.
The Germans set up anywhere in the green perimeter zone, not knowing from which directions the Russkis will be coming.
There's also a small green German zone containing the central airfield buildings
[Image: perimap.png]

OBLIQUE VIEW
[Image: periobliq.gif]

Perimeter is of course just a semi-fictional miniature version of many real-life pockets such as this one
[Image: korsun.gif]
07-01-2008, 01:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-01-2008, 01:48 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
VALLEY SECTOR
[Image: vall.gif]

MARSHES SECTOR
[Image: marsh.gif]

COASTAL VILLAGE SECTOR (the sea is all fords to represent shallows, no boats needed)
[Image: covill.gif]

FOREST SECTOR
[Image: for.gif]

SAILING CLUB SECTOR
[Image: sailclb.gif]

HILLS SECTOR (your contour colours no doubt look better than my home-made mod)
[Image: hills.gif]

RAILSTATION SECTOR
[Image: railstat.gif]

ACADEMY SECTOR (plenty of fords)
[Image: acad.gif]

AIRFIELD SECTOR
[Image: airf.gif]
07-02-2008, 05:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-03-2008, 04:19 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
[Image: rommelA.jpg]
07-04-2008, 01:21 AM,
Well done Der Kuenstler :)
...and thanks for running the Tourney POS Big Grin
07-10-2008, 12:48 PM,
Thumbs_Up  RE: DER KUENSTLER WINS PERIMETER TOURNEY!
I received my second POS tourney trophy in the mail today from England - looks very nice as usual! Just two more cups to win and I'll have a dinner set.

Thank you, POS - for the trophy and for all the work you do for the CM community!
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
07-10-2008, 07:17 PM,
Okay mate, and if any trophy winner is wondering, each one costs around £15 (25 dollars) so you could always sell it off somewhere to make a few bucks if you have to anytime, ha ha ha..:)
07-11-2008, 05:40 AM,
No way - I wouldn't sell my trophies! That's what I show my college student daughter when she comes home and scoldingly says I get nothing out of gaming. "Well, I got these, didn't I?" lol
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift