• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Cmbb won't run
01-25-2008, 03:41 AM,
Cmbb won't run
This guy tells me he's having trouble getting cmbb to run, can any techy whizzkids offer advice?
He says -

Yes the game looks like it would be great if I could get it to run.
The problem is that I’m running very modern hardware (not vista though) and when I installed the demo last night all the words were blank from within the game.
I thought “Ok troubleshooting page”
Applied the relevant fixes………..no good
Added 98, Me compat to the exe file no good.
Put the game back to original state, minimized and then full screen……….game crashes and no alt/ctrl/del or alt tab will exit.
“Computer recovered from a serious error” was my welcome message on restart.
ARGH!!!!!! I haven’t seen that for ages.
Oh well back to the old drawing board then..
Quote this message in a reply
01-25-2008, 04:35 AM,
RE: Cmbb won't run
The blank words thing sounds like the ATI graphics card issue again. There is a link to the fix in a thread posted a couple weeks ago that will fix that problem if that is the issue. Need to know more about the specifics before a guess as to the problem can be made.
01-25-2008, 05:01 AM,
He should try tweaking the video driver settings
01-25-2008, 11:25 AM,
i looked through the battlefront homepage and found out following :

"Problem: All in game text and scenario list appears blank.

Cause/Solution #1: The problem is with the video drivers. They have a problem properly initializing the screen graphics when Anti-Aliasing is enabled. Turn off Full Screen Anti-aliasing for your video card. This can be done via the video cards display properties panel.

Cause/Solution #2: Minimize CMBB by pressing Alt-Tab and then re-maximize it by clicking on its icon on the Task bar. The display should properly refresh and everything should be visible again."

hope this will help
01-28-2008, 02:19 AM,
I have this problem also since upgraging my graphic card. I now have an ATI 3850 HD card and it does not seem to support CMX1 :hissy: I have looked in the cards control panel and I do not see any control which allows me to switch off the anti-aliasing, it's so frustrating :mad:
I am proud to be British but I thank god that I am Welsh
01-28-2008, 10:42 AM,
did you upgrade/updatet your graphic card?
01-31-2008, 07:34 AM,
Yes I up graded my card, I had an old ATI before so I thought that in order to try and prevent any conflict with the motherboard I would use a new ATI card. However I my caution has backfired on me with display and crashing problems, I don't want to waste £100 and go back to the old card either :censored:
I am proud to be British but I thank god that I am Welsh
01-31-2008, 05:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-31-2008, 05:49 PM by kineas.)
(FGM)Phil Davies Wrote:I have this problem also since upgraging my graphic card. I now have an ATI 3850 HD card and it does not seem to support CMX1 :hissy: I have looked in the cards control panel and I do not see any control which allows me to switch off the anti-aliasing, it's so frustrating :mad:

But you should, because antialiasing is a rather basic settings, there are a couple of more esoteric (disable catalyst ai, anisotropic filtering etc.). It required me a great deal of tweaking back then. So I recommend searching for an 'advanced' view in your driver settings.

Of course it's possible that your new card is a totally different beast than my R8000.

With the latest driver even the fog should be visible.
01-31-2008, 06:03 PM,
I had the same issue with my ATI, there are just no controls for turning off the anti-aliasing anywhere in the ATI control centre. I am running a 2600 ATI card, and have no issues but the text being white on white.
01-31-2008, 06:25 PM,
ATI cards and Vista have had a bad reputation in many game and simulation forums for quite some time now, so I wonder why people continue buying them?..;)
I use Win XP Home and a stone age GeForce 2 card myself and rarely have any problems (insert smug self-satisfied emoticon here)