• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

New Ladder Feature - how about this idea?
06-05-2008, 06:18 AM,
New Ladder Feature - how about this idea?
I noticed that we already have access here to "the past year" stats, and the date is at the top of the page.

Would it be possible for someone in power to put in a way to enter a past date, say Dec. 31st, 2006, then click on "past year" and show the ladder finishers for that year? Then you could go back every year to the start of the club - see who was "Ladder Leader 2007", "ELO leader 2007" etc. - you would have some interesting club history anyway.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2008, 06:22 AM,
RE: New Ladder Feature - how about this idea?
if I understand what you are asking, that is pretty much where your last ladder change request ended.

I have been playing on polling all the different ladders to see if they would like something like that ... but I am a procrastinator.
06-05-2008, 06:57 AM,
We have a lot of new stuff lined up but it comes down to time. Raz is up to his eyeballs with all our requests.

I think to do this is going to take some major juggling with the database which may be an unrealistic target.

As mentioned before why not set a start date (6th June) and then run a thread that looks at the ladder positions for the previous 3, 6 and 12 months.

Then on June 6th next year you will have the person who has performed best in the previous year.
06-05-2008, 07:24 AM,
I have some spare time(usually) and could do something on the interm.
06-05-2008, 03:13 PM,
Bootie Wrote:I think to do this is going to take some major juggling with the database which may be an unrealistic target.

I'm sorry, but I really dont see how adding a couple of extra filters - to a database that already has filters - would take a lot of time.

Besides people - including myself - have offered to volunteer their time to do this, but not a peep heard back about accepting that help.

Quote:As mentioned before why not set a start date (6th June) and then run a thread that looks at the ladder positions for the previous 3, 6 and 12 months.

That has zero appeal to me because you lose the history of it once June 7, 2009 comes around.
06-05-2008, 03:53 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-05-2008, 03:54 PM by wigam.)
Bootie Wrote:I think to do this is going to take some major juggling with the database which may be an unrealistic target.
Colonel Talvela Wrote:I'm sorry, but I really dont see how adding a couple of extra filters - to a database that already has filters - would take a lot of time.

It has been talked about and rigt now Raz has tasks of a higher priority on his plate, so this is on the back burner for now.

Colonel Talvela Wrote:Besides people - including myself - have offered to volunteer their time to do this, but not a peep heard back about accepting that help.

Thanks for your kind offer Col T but for now Raz is the man behind the scenes and I forsee it staying this way for the forseeable future. He has the whole place running smoothly at the moment and we want to avoid too many fingers in the pie so to speak.

Bootie Wrote:As mentioned before why not set a start date (6th June) and then run a thread that looks at the ladder positions for the previous 3, 6 and 12 months.
Colonel Talvela Wrote:That has zero appeal to me because you lose the history of it once June 7, 2009 comes around.

I understand that, but for now that is the only option avaliable to you and if its not wanted then sorry, there will be nothing happening with this idea for now.

The Blitz is a far superior web site to any others I see out there and is only getting better and the idea that was brought up is being talked about amongst the officers. So its a waiting game for now.
[Image: Tiger-Sig2.jpg]
Send this user an email
06-05-2008, 09:52 PM,
Colonel Talvela Wrote:if I understand what you are asking, that is pretty much where your last ladder change request ended.

I have been playing on polling all the different ladders to see if they would like something like that ... but I am a procrastinator.

It must not be not too much of a concern if it takes several months to procrastinate a simple poll post :)
SO, get off your procrastinating bum and do something that will gather information, and give us an idea of just how much desire this suggestion is generating among the Club ladder communities.

The amount of clubwide interest generates a position on the To Do list that we can work our time and efforts around.
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
06-05-2008, 11:57 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-05-2008, 11:59 PM by Colonel Talvela.)
RD Wrote:Thanks for your kind offer Col T but for now Raz is the man behind the scenes and I forsee it staying this way for the forseeable future. He has the whole place running smoothly at the moment and we want to avoid too many fingers in the pie so to speak.

Well I wasnt offering, nor do I want, to take over for Raz as the man behind the scene. Merely offering to help out on a specific task.

RD Wrote:It must not be not too much of a concern

I have bigger concerns for sure. Also because the amount of time to create polls in every ladder forum, IMO, will be a couple of magnitudes greater than the amount of time to create a few filters. But that is merely speculation based on my experience.