• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Question
05-09-2008, 04:39 AM,
Question
While sitting in my garden this afternoon with a large Guinness, the sun was beating down, and I thought this is the life, after my very cold Guinness I decided the next move would be CM, and then the the Question came to me....How hot are those Tank crews, the heat in those thinks must have been over the top, Any idea's about the temperature...I don't know..

cheers Ted
Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2008, 04:54 AM,
RE: Question
Varied by AO.

Russia...from 30F below to 100F degrees.

Africa...from 90F to 140F degrees.

;)
05-09-2008, 05:37 AM,
Ok whats that in degrees centigrade and how much sweat per square inch would my tankers fatigues absorb??
05-09-2008, 05:39 AM,
Another question for those of us who have never been inside a tank in combat do the fumes from the engine not get to you?
05-09-2008, 05:43 AM,
Thanks for the info......Like I thought the conditions must have been tough
05-09-2008, 05:47 AM,
A PzIII at Bovington has one side of the hull cutaway so you can climb inside. I could not believe how cramped it looked. And some of the Italian tanks must have been crewed by circus midgets. In the movies the inside of a tank always looks as roomy as a 3-room apartment. So in addition to heat, and fumes, and a bumpy ride, and the enemy trying to kill you, it would be cramped as all heck in anything except the very largest tanks,
"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal[Image: pzV.jpg]
05-09-2008, 06:50 AM,
Jobu88 Wrote:A PzIII at Bovington has one side of the hull cutaway so you can climb inside. I could not believe how cramped it looked. And some of the Italian tanks must have been crewed by circus midgets.

Yeah, but weren't folks waaayyy back then a lot smaller. Isn't that what they always tell you on those tours of such-n-such castle/chateau/palace when you are looking at the furniture Big Grin
05-09-2008, 06:54 AM,
And just top it all off, I bet it was noisy as all hell in there with the treads screeching, the engine roaring and a large-bore cannon going off above/near your head. :(
05-09-2008, 07:01 AM,
Have a look at this article from my blog. Shows that even the inside of a Tiger Tank was crammed. If you want regular updates about this blog sign up for buzzfuse... its free and they notify you when I release new articles. ratings would also be greatly appreciated.

http://thewarthatstillrages.blogspot.com...-tank.html
05-09-2008, 09:17 AM,
Jobu88 Wrote:A PzIII at Bovington has one side of the hull cutaway so you can climb inside. I could not believe how cramped it looked. And some of the Italian tanks must have been crewed by circus midgets. In the movies the inside of a tank always looks as roomy as a 3-room apartment. So in addition to heat, and fumes, and a bumpy ride, and the enemy trying to kill you, it would be cramped as all heck in anything except the very largest tanks,

Jobu88
I visited a few years back, and went inside the PzIII. At 5ft 10 and about 11 stone I don't consider myself a big chap, but nonetheless I got myself stuck in there, and had to be wrenched out. How 5 guys squeezed in there I'll never know.

Vulture
"What we do in life, echoes in eternity..."
Send this user an email