• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Banned members and tournements
07-29-2008, 06:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-29-2008, 06:34 AM by Kelen.)
c_Question Mark  Banned members and tournements
Question for the mods.

Can persons who have been banned from the Blitz subsequently take part in Blitz run tourneys?

The subject has come up another thread and I was curious as to the answer, as personally I can see both sides of the argument.

If it is an across club tourney then I cannot see how they could be excluded without generating bad feeling, nor do I see the need to, as they wouldn't need to post here.

If however, it is an in-house tourney, (i.e. it is not a contest between different clubs), then by definition isn't it meant to be, 'in-house'. It would appear odd, therefore, to then have non-Blitz members taking part, and particularly if they have previously been banned from here. Apart from having a profile and being able to post on the forums they would be a Blitz member in everything aprt from name.

Or is it simply up to whoever's running the tournement to invite whom so ever they please?

Or does it depend on the reason why they were banned? (After all, how would you feel if you found yourself up against someone in a tourney who was previously banned for cheating?)

Or is it simply not an issue, as nobody's bothered about who takes part? (As has been suggested elsewhere)
Quote this message in a reply
07-29-2008, 06:54 AM,
RE: Banned members and tournements
To answer your question.

In house tournaments - for Blitz members only so banned members can not take part.

Cross club tournaments - banned members can take part as they are not banned from the other club.

Now I know your comments are aimed at POS' tournament.

His tournaments are a one of game against him. He runs it so he can invite anyone he wants. It isnt a Blitz tourney, sure he advertises it at the Blitz... big deal but he invites gamers from across the community which can only be good for it.

Some clubs dont run tournaments or such like so its good to let them in on the action and POS provides this opportunity ( I prefer to keep all my tourneys in house due to the unreliability of some other clubs.)

Now.. if POS were to run a tournament that was cross club... they could take part but if he ran an in house tourney then banned members or non-members would not be able to take part.

Hope this answers your question.
07-29-2008, 07:20 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-29-2008, 08:58 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
Bootie Wrote:He [POS] runs it so he can invite anyone he wants.

By throwing my Tourneys open to the whole world without restriction, the winner can therefore take pride from knowing that he is- in a sense- a World Champion, whereas if entry to other people was restricted in any way his victory would be devalued because he'd be forever thinking-"I wonder if I'd have won if so-and-so had been allowed to compete?"..

[Image: tournmds-2.png]
07-29-2008, 09:07 PM,
Bootie Wrote:To answer your question.

In house tournaments - for Blitz members only so banned members can not take part.

Cross club tournaments - banned members can take part as they are not banned from the other club.

Now I know your comments are aimed at POS' tournament.

His tournaments are a one of game against him. He runs it so he can invite anyone he wants. It isnt a Blitz tourney, sure he advertises it at the Blitz... big deal but he invites gamers from across the community which can only be good for it.

Some clubs dont run tournaments or such like so its good to let them in on the action and POS provides this opportunity ( I prefer to keep all my tourneys in house due to the unreliability of some other clubs.)

Now.. if POS were to run a tournament that was cross club... they could take part but if he ran an in house tourney then banned members or non-members would not be able to take part.

Hope this answers your question.

The question wasn't 'aimed' at POS' current tournement, (as I haven't taken part in any of his tournements it makes no difference to me who he allows take part); which was why I was asking about both 'cross club', and 'in-house' tournements, and It was a genuine question on my behalf to clarify Blitz's position on this matter.

The question did arise out of a discussion with POS, however at the time of that discussion I was unaware that his tournement was merely being advertised on Blitz and wasn't an in-house one, (hence my advice to him).

And yes, that does answer my question, thank you.

P.S. As for people being members of clubs that DON'T run any tourneys, hmm, maybe we should be encouraging them to join up here!! :)