• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

what kind of shell??
08-10-2008, 01:47 AM,
what kind of shell??
I've wondered what this buckshot-looking mass of small shells is when I've seen it before. In this case, it came from the StuG at left.

What is this? I've heard of firing all sorts of debris from muzzle-loaders...but this occassional mass fired in CM has stumped me!.....

Attached Files
.jpg   shells.JPG (Size: 80.6 KB / Downloads: 46)
"Never put off till tomorrow what you can avoid doing entirely."
Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2008, 01:49 AM,
RE: what kind of shell??
Canister rounds.
08-10-2008, 01:58 AM,
Right - you can't control when to fire canister - the AI chooses for you - usually when enemy infantry are actually spotted up close. (area firing at the trees won't do it) But when it does fire - my oh my - whole squads are instantly evaporated.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
08-10-2008, 04:14 AM,
Well, thanks, good to know!! If I wasn't so lazy, I'd read the CMBB manual all the way though, like I did with CMBO when I first got that game. In BO ''c'' is hollow charge, and I just haven't paid much attention with all the various types in BB or AK. (I'd probably learn a lot if I read cover to cover!)

Good news is that the StuG fired several cannister rounds into the nearby woods, so I'm now hoping for a high casualty count! Big Grin
08-12-2008, 08:22 AM,
And, as far as anti-personnel stuff...I got to sit with some fellow Infantry School chums in a reinforced bunker back around mid-80s, Ft. Benning, Georgia, US. We had thick plexi-glass viewing windows, while getting pummeled with something like 105 and 155mm arty shells for several minutes. A training exercise.

Dramatic stuff!

I picked up some souveniers outside our bunker when it was over. Small and large shards of sharp, fused metal pieces that had flown around.

My largest piece of ragged shrapnel measures 7 inches in length. Many edges are sharp enough to easily cut a piece of raw beef by hand. Nothing you want coming at you out in the open!! :eek1:

Attached Files
.jpg   scan0001.jpg (Size: 16.14 KB / Downloads: 23)
08-12-2008, 11:06 AM,
Hi All,

Has anyone ever been able to find any first hand accounts of canister round use (from AFV's), during WW-2, on any side (regarding the CMBB and CMAK theatre of Ops)?

There used to be a thread at Battlefront where much evidence was presented that the canister rounds from the T-34 are modeled incorrectly... that they were a timed/fused HE round, NOT a coffee can full of slugs/buckshot.

I have read many books on the East and West front action, but I never see mention of canister rounds actually being used, by any side (German, Soviet, USA, etc.)

Just wondered...
Ken
08-12-2008, 11:27 AM,
[Image: can1.jpg]

[Image: can2.jpg]

[Image: can3.jpg]

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=42452