• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

No Flag Rush
03-13-2011, 10:30 AM,
No Flag Rush
Still working on a map design for ME's that would prevent a side from just running forward and sitting on the flags. (I'm swearing off ME's until there's an improvement.)

Here's an ME map that features a confined staging area for each side--300 point flag at each, to signify the importance as a supply route.

Five 100-point flags scattered in the middle. Idea is for 50(+) turns, 3000 purchase points each side (at this map size).

This map & flag design is intended to prevent a simple mad dash to the flags, which is seldom realistic in battle at the small-unit level.

What I hope such a map might achieve as an ME is that many options are available for a win. Go after several small flags (but which ones exactly?) while defending your supply line, defend your supply line and go after your opponent's main supply, etc., etc. With multiple avenues of approach possible for any plan.

Thoughts? Ideas? (I can mail the current map on request.) :stir:

Attached Files
.jpg   No_Flag_Rush.JPG (Size: 139.87 KB / Downloads: 12)
"Never put off till tomorrow what you can avoid doing entirely."
Quote this message in a reply
03-14-2011, 12:55 AM,
RE: No Flag Rush
My thought is that with 3000 points worth of troops and only 1100 points worth of flags, you might has created a situation where the easy flags for both sides are taken and then bothe players might want to then just lay back and wait for the other guy to move. Could lead to a little bit of an uninspired game by both.
My thought would be to make the battle about one area with a few flags in that general area with a couple other areas as side shows to the main efforts.
03-14-2011, 08:03 AM,
RE: No Flag Rush
Good point. I played a game where each side had just one small flag, in a remote spot in that side's rear (had to design it with at least one flag or the game would randomly add flags in QB mode)--essentially, a no-flags game. We both eventually locked up along a certain front line, and neither side was willing to commit to a hard drive into enemy lines. Ended in a 30-turn draw.

Maybe another way to eliminate the flag rush is to place flags in terrain that offers no nearby cover...necessitating a side needing to dominate a broader area in order to control a flag? So you can't just run to map center and sit and wait, because you'd be exposed to enemy fire. You'd have to actually maneuver into enemy territory to eliminate their threat.

Plus, your idea of still having a couple distant small flags for side shows to the main effort.
"Never put off till tomorrow what you can avoid doing entirely."