• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

infantry assaults vs tanks
02-16-2012, 05:22 AM,
infantry assaults vs tanks
Ok, I need some help here. IN the CM manual it talks about hiding your infantry, given them a covered V arc and once the enemy tank moves into range they will attack. I tried this and every one of my units got clobbered before the could even stop hiding. In a rematch my opponent just hid his infantry and when I got close enough used a regular target order and killed 3 tanks to my 0 by the manual.

So what is the secret to having grunts assault tanks?
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
Quote this message in a reply
02-16-2012, 05:35 AM,
RE: infantry assaults vs tanks
Did you use Pioneers or Infantry?
German infantry uses grenade bundles, wurfmines or magnetic mines, all very effective against tanks.
I assume you now this, the only thing i could add is how more experienced your units are the faster they will attack a tank / vehicle in range.
Greets Owl
02-16-2012, 05:39 AM,
It was Ger. AT teams and regular infantry. It was a mirrored game, I used HIDE + V arcs of 10m and my opponent used HIDE and then just used the target command when a tank got close. All of my units were spotted outside the 10m range and wiped out while his all got kills.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
02-16-2012, 05:59 AM,
I advise to set the covered arc at 35 meters or hide/target as your opponent. Infantry can simpel throw this distance (i've seen 40 meters or more!) When you set it at 10 meters a tankcrew will spot your infantry and kill them before they get the opportunity to throw the grenade bundle!
Owl
02-16-2012, 08:49 AM,
Throw a bundle 40m?! Silly me thinking real life of 10m. Thanks.
02-17-2012, 04:05 AM,
I think range on grenade bundles is 30m, other things might be 40m. Panzerfaust is only good at very short range so would treat them like bundles. Germans and Allies will toss grenades, gammon bombs, and molotovs as well. I usually limit shrek firing to 100m but opponents have shot much furhter and destroyed my tanks so they are capable of reaching out.

Other considerations:

Were your men dug in? If so foxholes and trenches can be seen before the hiding troops.

Did they have a good leader with a ? marking which improves stealth.

Were they in other complex terrain like woods or out in the open (see point on foxholes).

Consider using a sniper to button up opposing tank crews, helps with teh surprise and their ability to see stuff.
02-18-2012, 05:16 AM,
Thanks for the replies, I believe the problem was my range was set to 10m so his tanks were on top of me. I thought my guys would have to run out and place the AT mine, not throw it.

BTW - grenade bundles seem to be very lethal to tanks in this game.
02-18-2012, 10:45 PM,
@ Vic,
Agree when you target a building / bridge etc with grenade bundles is max 30 meters, but i observed use of it an initialized by the squad at much greater distance!
Bert
02-19-2012, 06:19 AM,
I usually set the V arc 42-45 meters to give time for target acquiring. The range is an abstraction, a grenade bundle was not thrown at distances like that.

If a tank gets immobilized assault rolls (tests) against it are about doubly effective.
02-19-2012, 06:25 AM,
yeah, I wish I had a "re-do" now.

Thanks once again for all the replies, I have learned a lot.