• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Fixed Units
06-22-2024, 01:43 AM,
Fixed Units
Fixed units, why? Been playing PzC Normandy game where the French start off with most of their forces are fixed and very high fatigue. Even after the Germans roll over the few French that can move, 2/3rds of the French are fixed. I see this in The Napoleonic games too. What is the purpose. If they are on the map, they should be able to move. After a few turns the carrier pigeons should have arrived or the horse bound messengers should make the delivery.

My thought is don't put them on the map if they are really there. Oh wait, per chance, is it because food preparation and general health conditions had most of those troops waiting in line at the latrines and just weren't able to move as fast as their bowels could?
Quote this message in a reply
06-22-2024, 02:06 AM,
RE: Fixed Units
(06-22-2024, 01:43 AM)Cpt Courageous Wrote: Fixed units, why? Been playing PzC Normandy game where the French start off with most of their forces are fixed and very high fatigue. Even after the Germans roll over the few French that can move, 2/3rds of the French are fixed. I see this in The Napoleonic games too. What is the purpose. If they are on the map, they should be able to move. After a few turns the carrier pigeons should have arrived or the horse bound messengers should make the delivery.

My thought is don't put them on the map if they are really there. Oh wait, per chance, is it because food preparation and general health conditions had most of those troops waiting in line at the latrines and just weren't able to move as fast as their bowels could?

Well first, this is the Campaign Series forum, did you mean to post here?

...but second, fixed units are a method scenario designers use to control the flow of the scenario. It's especially useful in larger historical battles where one or both sides have units on the map, but historically they didn't engage the enemy until a certain time. Altered only if fired upon or upon their release.

Personally, though, I'm with you. I HATE fixed units. I'm currently playing a pretty good scenario, flawed only by my many fixed units that my opponent is wisely not shooting at. Nor can I retreat from untenable objectives to bolster other objectives with better defensive capabilities. They just sit there, glued, waiting for their turn to be surrounded and killed. The scenario heavily favors my opponent's side. Of course, I love fixed units when my opponent gets stuck with them, I'm fine with that.

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
06-22-2024, 02:10 AM,
(06-22-2024, 02:06 AM)Scud Wrote:
(06-22-2024, 01:43 AM)Cpt Courageous Wrote: Fixed units, why? Been playing PzC Normandy game where the French start off with most of their forces are fixed and very high fatigue. Even after the Germans roll over the few French that can move, 2/3rds of the French are fixed. I see this in The Napoleonic games too. What is the purpose. If they are on the map, they should be able to move. After a few turns the carrier pigeons should have arrived or the horse bound messengers should make the delivery.

Well first, this is the Campaign Series forum, did you mean to post here?

...but second, fixed units are a method scenario designers use to control the flow of the scenario. It's especially useful in larger historical battles where one or both sides have units on the map, but historically they didn't engage the enemy until a certain time. Altered only if fired upon or upon their release.

Personally, though, I'm with you. I HATE fixed units. I'm currently playing a pretty good scenario, flawed only by my many fixed units that my opponent is wisely not shooting at. Nor can I retreat from untenable objectives to bolster other objectives with better defensive capabilities. They just sit there, glued, waiting for their turn to be surrounded and killed. The scenario heavily favors my opponent's side. Of course, I love fixed units when my opponent gets stuck with them, I'm fine with that.

Dave

Damn my scouts for leading me to the wrong forum!! That will teach me not to recruit at the local tavern on free beer night.
06-22-2024, 02:13 AM,
(06-22-2024, 02:10 AM)Cpt Courageous Wrote: Damn my scouts for leading me to the wrong forum!! That will teach me not to recruit at the local tavern on free beer night.

Big Grin
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
06-22-2024, 08:54 AM,
Speaking strictly from a Campaign Series player perspective, I'm not very fond of fixed units as well. In fact, I generally avoid playing the CS scenarios that were designed for play against the computer for this very reason - most of the enemy units are fixed and it makes for a very boring game.

With that said, I can see a use for them in a scenario that is designed for H2H play. I'm in the early stages of designing a scenario about the second day of the Battle of Stonne in May 1940. I can envision using fixed units on the flanks of the Allied side to simulate the presence of French units that were present in the vicinity, but not really involved, in the action I'm trying to portray.