08-04-2006, 05:22 PM,
RE: Guidelines to winning CM battles
Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2006, 01:06 AM,
RE: ��Guidelines to winning CM battles
08-05-2006, 01:31 AM,
RE: Guidelines to winning CM battles
Following up on my last post, I think most attack or assault QBs (on random maps) go something more like:

1. Get assignment to take specified position. Pre-attack intelligence gives fairly accurate, very basic force level estimate (i.e. point total). Force estimate might have some estimate on force composition (combined arms vs. unrestricted) and presents a very basic deployment zone for the enemy forces (defender setup zone)
2. Attack force moves forward and stops ~1km from the estimated forward edge of assumed enemy positions (i.e. the setup zone)
3. Basic attack plan is formulated, and formations assume their kickoff locations in the kickoff area. No recon is permitted prior to planning and commander makes basic assumptions of attack lanes based on his sub-1-meter accuracy tactical planning maps (i.e. scanning the map at any available level of detail to figure out where the other guy likely placed his units and how you might advance)
4. Start attack with a defined time limit from CO. Time limit generally precludes the use of anything more than basic forward screen-style recon, and depending on terrain, very little ability to reposition forces as attack develops.
5. Prosecute attack as originally planned and deal with enemy as you find them. Hope that the CO gives you "just a couple more minutes to finish them off" if you need it (i.e. variable time limits).

That's a little tongue-in-cheek, but basically accurate.