• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Someone please explain why in CM?
11-02-2006, 02:59 PM,
c_Question Mark  Someone please explain why in CM?
:hissy:I had a Axis half track with a 75mm gun in hide mode with an armor cover arc. It was an independent unit with a veteran crew. The moment it spots a T-34 coming into range, it slams it into reverse and scrambles out of view. I had hopes of getting at least one shot off with it before any russian tank spotted it. The T-34 was buttoned and moving when this hero of the Reich bolted.
Why did it do that? How can I stop it? I would have tried shoot and scoot, but I thought sitting there in hide mode might give him a better chance for a first shot kill.
Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2006, 08:25 PM,
RE: Someone please explain why in CM?
It's hard to say, because its so variable, BUT.....generally a units will retreat like that if they think they have no real chance of hurting the opposition. Possibly the T34 was at an angle, and a 75mm round from the half track at that angle would have had no chance to penetrate. If it wasn't that then I really don't know.

BTW hiding with armour usually doesn't work.....all it means is that the engine is temporarily turned off to stop braodcasting a sound signature. Once an enemy tank comes into view it will spot you just fine in my experience.
11-02-2006, 10:48 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-03-2006, 11:58 AM by Soldier.)
That was one smart crew. They knew that they didn't have much of a chance to fight it out with a tank, etc.. :-)
Their low velocity gun is at fault for one, it takes to long (too many shots) to zero in on the target/tank. Especially, when the target is on the move.
The halftrack's thin skin and open top, makes it also very vulnerable to an HE round"s near miss, etc..
That crew should be receiving a "commendation," for saving the halftrack for an another fight another day... :-)
11-03-2006, 08:41 AM,
...so true...
they were doing the right thing with the equipment they had...
did it get away?

GoM
11-03-2006, 09:35 AM,
It's quite a bit more irritating when it's an (green) IS-2 backing away from a panzer IV!
11-03-2006, 10:04 AM,
Honestly, would you go up against a t-34 in a HT, smacks of realism to me.
11-03-2006, 03:01 PM,
The HT eventually exploded as it high-tailed it down a road after backing away from its initial spot.
You take a shot at russian tank if the under powered 75mm gun is the only thing available other than 20mm and some grenade bundles.