• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

New scenario (vets only)
11-08-2007, 04:40 AM,
New scenario (vets only)
Placed at a new scenario at the H2H scenario site: Dnepr Rivercrossing!:stir:

Units of Panzer Gruppe Guderian are eager to cross the river Dnepr and continue their armored spearhead in eastern direction. German air recce discovered weak spots in the vicinity of KOPYS and SHKLOV. During darkness, infantry units infiltrated the Russian defense and at some locations even succeeded in crossing the river with improvised means. Armored units, however, are halted by lack of fuel and insufficient numbers of servicable tanks, so the veteran infantry has to hold the small bridgehead for an additional extra 24 hours. At day break, only a small armored recce element is send forward to link up with the infantry regiment. Russians commanders responded quickly and during the 2nd night they attacked the German bridgehead. Finally the crack units of SS Das Reich are launched to break the last defense belt in front of the river and to link up with the brave infantry. The Russians meanwhile frenziedly redeployed their last reserves and throw them into a savage counter attack! cheers
Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2007, 05:27 AM,
RE: New scenario (vets only)
Sounds interesting.

Leonidas upon learning he was surrounded:

Greek Translation: Spartans! Prepare for Glory!

English Translation: Ruh Roh!
11-08-2007, 05:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-09-2007, 07:18 AM by Soldier.)
And where is this scenario, if I may ask.
Like to download it and fly around the map. Maybe even play test it with an another play tester, etc.. :-)
11-08-2007, 11:09 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-08-2007, 11:51 PM by Mad Russian.)
Here is more information about the battle for Shklov. It is from a scenario I made long ago but it might still prove interesting. Owls version of the fight for the bridgehead sounds interesting as well. I couldn't find the scenario in the playtesting section of H2H Productions either. Does anyone know where this scenario can be found?

Good Hunting.

MR

11 July, 1941, Shklov, Russia

The Battle:

During July of 1941 the German Army was moving deeper into Russia. The German advance had covered most of the distance from the border to Moscow in just weeks. Shklov was on the east side of the Dnepr River.
The Red Army for the most part had proven to be a paper tiger, big and threatening, but with some notable exceptions, toothless.

No war had ever seen such an advance. The Red Army fought very well at times, competently at times and not at all about half the time. In the town of Shklov was one of the times they fought very well.

The town was home to an officer cadet training school. The officer cadets were known as "Stalin's Scholars". This was one of the few elite units in the Red Army. As the Germans approached the cadets immediately formed a defense unit to protect the town, and the school.

The 10th Panzer Division had crossed the Dnepr near Shklov and attempted to take the town. When 10th Panzer Division tried to enter the town, they were met by the officer cadets and beaten back. Using all of the advantages of the defender, the officer cadets stopped all attempts by the Germans to take the town. Not only did they keep the Germans out of the town, but they destroyed several assault guns in the process.

The Germans responded by sending for the Gross Deutschland Motorized Infantry Regiment. The Regiment was known world wide as the "GD". They were well equipped and highly trained. The 1st Battalion was given the assignment of taking Shklov.

During the German attack fighting developed around the central buildings of the town. The officer cadets tried to get some of their teachers out of town but the GD stopped them. The Germans then succeeded in driving the Soviet's back into the woods at the edge of town.

Many of the finest men of two nations were left on the field that day.

Notes: I have searched high and low for more information on this fight. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find much.

The GD did not become the elite unit it is famous for until 1942. There were times in the early part of the invasion when they didn't fight well. Shlkov was not one of those places. Here the GD fought very well. After all they did go to school.

Some of the best units in the Red Army were formed from the cadre and cadets of schools. The Officer Training School at Shlkov was certainly one of those.

Reference Material:

Hitler Moves East 1941-1943 by Paul Carell pg. 83

ASL Scenario T4: Shklov's Labors Lost

Panzer Grenadier Division 'Grossdeutschland' by Bruce Quarrie

Panzer Grenadier Division Grossdeutschland by Horst Scheibert

11-09-2007, 01:54 AM,
It's there, but is awaiting for the H2H custodian to approve it for testing. I think this limitation is to prevent an overload of too many new products and not enough testing.

Have patience and ye shall be rewarded :)
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
11-10-2007, 10:44 AM,
What is the normal timeframe before we can download a new scenario posted to be at H2H?

Good Hunting.

MR
11-11-2007, 08:52 PM,
Soldier Wrote:And where is this scenario, if I may ask.
Like to download it and fly around the map. Maybe even play test it with an another play tester, etc.. :-)

Guy's
All new scenarios go into a holding area until the ladder Rep has had a chance to look it over before moving it to the main test page.

So until Phil has time to do this it will stay there, i cannot help out here as i don't have any CM titles to download it to, so as RD says we will have to be a little patient. :)