• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Tag Team Tournament
12-16-2007, 09:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-16-2007, 09:13 PM by Rico (FGM).)
Tag Team Tournament
I've just resuscitated a very successful tourney concept over at FGM and it's up and running, and if anybody who would like to run a similar one here at the Blitz, I'd help them get started.

Basically the concept is this:
Teams play custom-built scenarios against each other in a mirror format (half the of each team play Axis, the other half Allies against the respective opponents of the other team)
The cumulative scores are added up and the team with more points wins the match.
Points are awarded in the following way:
Total Victory: Winner 8 - Loser 0
Major Victory: Winner 7 - Loser 1
Tact Victory: Winner 6 - Loser 2
Minor Victory: Winner 5 - Loser 3
Draw: Both sides 4 points

Once the games are up and running, the players within a team are allowed to exchange intel and tactics to their heart's delight.
(of course, pre-playing of scenarios would be considered unethical and spoil the fun)

The scenarios are custom-built and unusual in that they are designed to offer the players tacical challenges, without getting hamstrung by the necessity of being too balanced (the mirror format should balance results out) ... and the idea is to make players play with kit that the normal QB doesn't allow for because of cost of points or stuff that would never be bought for fear of losing the QB)

For example:
The first battle of the FGM TTT opens with all hell breaking loose from turn 1 as a German motorised infantry column strung out in their vehicles along a village road gets ambushed by a swarm of Russian BT-7's charging at them from a break in some woods to the north of the column.
Evrybody dismounts, hits the deck and tries to survive -- hoping some panzers down the road arrive in time to save the day...

Ok -- enough waffling ... I've got my hands full at the moment, so anybody wanting to start and run a Blitz version of this, let me know.

FGM Tag Team Tourney Website
Quote this message in a reply
12-19-2007, 11:35 AM,
RE: Tag Team Tournament
Rico (FGM) Wrote:I've just resuscitated a very successful tourney concept over at FGM and it's up and running, and if anybody who would like to run a similar one here at the Blitz, I'd help them get started.

Basically the concept is this:
Teams play custom-built scenarios against each other in a mirror format (half the of each team play Axis, the other half Allies against the respective opponents of the other team)
The cumulative scores are added up and the team with more points wins the match.
Points are awarded in the following way:
Total Victory: Winner 8 - Loser 0
Major Victory: Winner 7 - Loser 1
Tact Victory: Winner 6 - Loser 2
Minor Victory: Winner 5 - Loser 3
Draw: Both sides 4 points

Once the games are up and running, the players within a team are allowed to exchange intel and tactics to their heart's delight.
(of course, pre-playing of scenarios would be considered unethical and spoil the fun)

The scenarios are custom-built and unusual in that they are designed to offer the players tacical challenges, without getting hamstrung by the necessity of being too balanced (the mirror format should balance results out) ... and the idea is to make players play with kit that the normal QB doesn't allow for because of cost of points or stuff that would never be bought for fear of losing the QB)

For example:
The first battle of the FGM TTT opens with all hell breaking loose from turn 1 as a German motorised infantry column strung out in their vehicles along a village road gets ambushed by a swarm of Russian BT-7's charging at them from a break in some woods to the north of the column.
Evrybody dismounts, hits the deck and tries to survive -- hoping some panzers down the road arrive in time to save the day...

Ok -- enough waffling ... I've got my hands full at the moment, so anybody wanting to start and run a Blitz version of this, let me know.

FGM Tag Team Tourney Website

Is there any reason this couldn't be expanded to challenge other clubs as well as just the Blitz?

Good Hunting.

MR
12-19-2007, 02:35 PM,
None at all -- perhaps except available time and admin capacity.

It might work very well as an inter-club tourney -- good idea. :cool:
12-19-2007, 03:38 PM,
Rico (FGM) Wrote:None at all -- perhaps except available time and admin capacity.

It might work very well as an inter-club tourney -- good idea. :cool:

What kind of admin capacity would be required?

Good Hunting.

MR
12-19-2007, 03:43 PM,
1. Build, maintain and update a tourney website
2. Coordination of teams and players -- also inter-club liason (with possible language difficulties)
3. Umpiring of possible rule disputes
4. Follow-up and shepherding of lagging games and proper logging of all game results

And I guess, up front, invite and gather together the teams to take part.
12-20-2007, 02:56 AM,
Rico (FGM) Wrote:1. Build, maintain and update a tourney website
2. Coordination of teams and players -- also inter-club liason (with possible language difficulties)
4. Follow-up and shepherding of lagging games and proper logging of all game results

1) Seems like someone needs to do a tournament friendly website so this doesn't need to be done every time we want to do a cross site/clan tournament.

2) Wouldn't that be up the sites/clans?

3) I can see that.

4) I'm thinking that we need a central location for that as well. As was done at FGM. A thread or section in a central location to the CM community for a listing of tournaments that have openings or that are running and what the status is or for those getting ready to start and signing up gamers.

What do you think of that idea?

Good Hunting.

MR
12-20-2007, 03:13 AM,
Mad Russian Wrote:
Rico (FGM) Wrote:1. Build, maintain and update a tourney website

1) Seems like someone needs to do a tournament friendly website so this doesn't need to be done every time we want to do a cross site/clan tournament.

2) Wouldn't that be up the sites/clans?

3) I can see that.

4) I'm thinking that we need a central location for that as well. As was done at FGM. A thread or section in a central location to the CM community for a listing of tournaments that have openings or that are running and what the status is or for those getting ready to start and signing up gamers.

What do you think of that idea?

Good Hunting.

MR

1) Yes, a dedicated website or set of pages would be a good idea.

2) The clans/clubs can organise a few things like recruit their players/teams etc -- but out of experience I know it's best and speediest to have one tourney-manager in contact with all participants and an oversight on progress of all matches, results etc...

4) Like I mentioned in my original post, I can help out anybody willing to launch something like -- I won't take it on as I just have too much on my plate already over at FGM.
12-20-2007, 03:27 AM,
I wasn't suggesting you do it Rico. I see you're stretched now.

I was just seeing if the easiest way to oo isn't a central site.

Not volunteering you or FGM/the Blitz for anything.

A big part of the problem is that CM gamers like to drop in and out. You get out of something what you put into it IMO. Alot of the CM guys could get alot more out of it if they were putting a bit more into it.

Time constraints enter into that as well though. Someone said we're all over FIFTY!!! And have LIVES!!

Now how do they know that???

Good Hunting.

MR
12-20-2007, 11:09 AM,
Are we going to gather round and play, or just talk?
Send this user an email
12-20-2007, 12:01 PM,
Kru Wrote:Are we going to gather round and play, or just talk?

What's stopping you from playing?

Good Hunting.

MR