• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Vista: What do I need too know.
12-26-2007, 01:08 PM,
Vista: What do I need too know.
Hey computer smart guys. I got a new lap top for Christmas. Has Vista on it. What do I need too do to too get my CM/cmak and cmbb up and running.

Such as work arounds or downloads. Any heads up thing too know.

So what's the scoop.

lj
Quote this message in a reply
12-27-2007, 05:21 AM,
RE: Vista: What do I need too know.
I had a frustrating time with Vista and CM when I first got my new PC. The problem isn't that Vista won't run CM-- it will, with no significant problems. It does have a puzzling and irritating feature when I launch CM and about 3 seconds later my screen blacks out for about 1.5 seconds, then it comes back.

The problem is Vista's system for saving and moving files around. It is maddeningly, frustratingly hard due to the User Account control settings. Everytime you go to move a file, up pops a window asking you "Are you sure you want to move that file?" It just about drove me crazy. And, for some reason only in CMAK, it did even worse-- "Only the System Administrator can move that file." Once I disabled the user account controls ( I'm the only person using my PC, I don't need multiple accounts) I had no problems. Takes all of 30 seconds in Control Panel to disable them. Now all my CM games run fine.

Even if you do have multiple folks with multiple accounts to manage, you could disable the controls while running CM, then turn them back on when you're done.
"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal[Image: pzV.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply