• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Tac tidbit - small hedges
01-27-2008, 11:38 AM,
Tac tidbit - small hedges
Ha ha ha, I sometimes come across a post in the Tac Discussion area and think "Hey this is interesting, i never knew that!", but then I noticed its one of my own old posts which i'd forgot about, duh...
So every now and again when i come across another, i'll post it here in the main forum as eye candy to remind us all of some tac aspect or other, (it'll scroll off eventually of course, but no matter because the original is still in the Tac Area) Here goes with the first -

SMALL HEDGES
There are two types of hedge in CM, 'Hedges' and 'Tall Hedges'.
Only the small variety are in cmbb, but cmak has both types.
(see separate thread for Tall hedges)
In fact I call ordinary hedges 'small hedges' so we don't get the two types mixed up because they have very different properties.
[Image: smlhedge.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
01-27-2008, 12:51 PM,
RE: Tac tidbit - small hedges
Great stuff...! The hedges do give sizeable reduction to being seen (as one would hope).

Thanks for testing and sharing...!

Salute,
Ken
01-27-2008, 02:14 PM,
Thanks mate, and incidentally these can't cross or enter small hedges - Truck/ Jeep/ Kubel/ Guns

PS - there are one or two more tips in the Tac Discussion area here-
https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...php?fid=31
01-27-2008, 02:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-27-2008, 02:34 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
PS - I'd better just post the following TALL HEDGES tidbit to emphasise how different they are to small hedges.
(Talls are only in cmak)

[Image: tallhedges.jpg]

They're also harder to cross or enter than smalls -
CAN CROSS TALLS - Allied fulltracks (tanks/TD's/SPG's/carriers) from July 44/ Foot units.

CAN'T CROSS TALLS - German fulltracks/ All nations halftracks/ Armoured cars/ Trucks/ Jeeps/ Kubels/ Guns

Note the Cullin hedgerow device allows fulltracked Allied armour to cross and enter from Jul 44,but German armour can NEVER cross or enter. (Knowing that bit of vital info can win or lose games)..;)

Normandy
[Image: vickers-in-Norm.jpg]
01-27-2008, 08:32 PM,
Excellent Post!
01-27-2008, 08:34 PM,
mate, love your work !
01-28-2008, 07:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-28-2008, 07:09 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
And just to complete the full set of 'linear cover' I'd better include WALLS too

[Image: walls.jpg]

Walls give an exposure rating reduction to all infantry-class units and guns within 15 metres of it (30% compared to 75% in open)

Walls give hulldown to tanks within 15m

Note - with all the units, the 15m shrinks dramatically if firer is higher or is firing at sharp angle across wall, so always get as close up to it as possible but NOT actually ON the wall or their exposure skyrockets to 95% (think "sitting ducks")

Static non-firing infantry and guns in the 15m zone are harder to spot than if they were in the open (approaching enemy infantry will spot inf and gun units in the 15m zone when they close to about 280m, compared to 880m in the open)

But infantry units and guns on 'Hide' in the 15m zone will not be spotted until approaching infantry is about 20 m away.
However the 20m does not apply if the enemy saw them before they went on hide,in which case the usual 280m spotting figure applies instead.

Hiders DO have LOS over wall, they're not blind.

Halftracks, wheeled vehs and guns can't cross walls

TACTICAL SUMMARY -
1 - Get your units (inc tanks) within the 15-metre protection zone behind walls, the closer to the wall the better

2 - If you don't plan on shooting for a while, put your inf and guns on Hide in the zone so the enemy won't see them until they close to a pointblank 20m