• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Quick Battle Guidelines
04-19-2008, 01:37 AM,
Quick Battle Guidelines
There are some people who are very particular about QB settings, as they are adverse to "clever" kit picks or unrealistic parameters.

Here is a guide for bringing a fair game to the table, depending upon your opponent:

1) QB Meeting Engagements

Combined Arms matches are the most fair. You are only allowed so many points for each category and each opponent knows roughly what they will face.

Unrestricted purchases are the most variable. You may face all infantry, you may face all armor... or a balance in the middle somewhere. The thrill of the game is kit picking that will be most effective against your opponent, using his past playing style and weaknesses against him (if any). Can be used to a more experienced players advantage against a new player.

Unrestricted nationality purchases. Sometimes there are units that are very cheap in one nationality as compared to another. Allowing for this makes variability in terms of what you may see from your opponent. Also known as a "cherry picking" style (IE. M-10s from the Yanks are much cheaper, and then picking British troops).

Mechanized. Always remember that the units available to you in each year for each side (axis or allies) is impacted by rarity, availability, lethality of units in the light armor section. Make sure you understand what light armor is available, as there may be an adverse advantage for one side in one period of the war, almost down to a specific month.

Infantry Only. Especially on the eastern front, be aware that the germans have an advantage in battalion picks, while the Soviets an advantage in SMG squads (which the Germans do not have). Infantry QB's can be fairly distributed depending upon the terrain type, etc. (woods favors SMG, open favors germans), especially in early scenarios. ON the western front, Italian Folgore SMG troops are available to the axis in July and August of 1943.

Armor. Allows you to buy all Tanks if you please, and restricts infantry purchases. Used by players that are better at using tank tactics, or who just like playing with a lot of heavy metal. Advantages can be taken by people who abuse one sides armor superiority over the other. Refer to Redwolf's rules for some help in establishing guidelines so this does not happen.

Summary

Some people like to get advantages over opponents by playing a certain style and using certain QB parameters to ensure that style is perpetuated. Most people just like the freedom of kit picking. At the end of the day, KNOW what you are getting yourself into, as you only have yourself to blame otherwise. Casting blame on others or calling them "tricksy" or "gamey" is poor sportsmanship IMHO.

The best way to resolve a situation where you've been dealt a bad hand by not paying attention to the guidelines above is to tell someone "thanks for the game". You do not have to play them again.

Hope this helps... please feel free to add to this. All advice and tips welcome.

Cheers!

Leto
Quote this message in a reply
04-19-2008, 02:18 AM,
RE: Quick Battle Guidelines
[hirr Wrote:Leto]
The best way to resolve a situation where you've been dealt a bad hand by not paying attention to the guidelines above is to tell someone "thanks for the game". You do not have to play them again.

No - the best way is to say - "Thanks for the game - I had so much fun let's play again - MY TURN to pick the parameters." - lol
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
04-19-2008, 02:28 AM,
Leto...Thank's for the info on QB... You won't believe it but I have been with the club for over 4 years and never fought a QB.

Reason being choosing the right Equipment, How sad am I...LOL

cheers Ted
04-19-2008, 02:32 AM,
Yeah Ted but we have nailed those playtests good!!
04-19-2008, 02:39 AM,
I can only say TRUE
04-19-2008, 02:40 AM,
Der Kuenstler Wrote:
[hirr Wrote:Leto]

No - the best way is to say - "Thanks for the game - I had so much fun let's play again - MY TURN to pick the parameters." - lol

LMAO!!! Yep... we all know how well that works... dust bunnies roll across your email account from where once turns used to come from said opponent... (I'm not poking fun at anyone... I think we all have had that happen at some point in time...).

I know me and DK got into a dust up about parameters once, but on retrospect, he was right... I should have understood the above guidelines a bit better. All's cool though... its just gaming and no one should hold a grudge. Besides, I think we split a couple of games if I recall... DK is one of the best players out there... I encourage you to try him out, but warn you that he is a bloody brilliant player! You may not be able to sit down for awhile... lol....

Cheers!

Leto
04-19-2008, 03:58 AM,
Lol - yes I'm brilliant - as long as I'm not playing you, Owl, Lighthorse(FGM), Jawsconan, Walkure, Graves Registration, Lord Bane, Nort, hmmm...who else has owned me? Besides - you have multiple weapons. I usually just beat people, whereas you know how to beat them and annoy them at the same time. (he he)
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
04-19-2008, 04:08 AM,
Der Kuenstler Wrote:you have multiple weapons. I usually just beat people, whereas you know how to beat them and annoy them at the same time. (he he)

LOL! Actually I think if their was an ELO ladder for "annoying" I would most likely be the number one undisputed ladder leader of all time.

: )

Cheers!

Leto
04-19-2008, 04:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-19-2008, 04:12 AM by Colonel Talvela.)
Der Kuenstler Wrote:I usually just beat people, whereas you know how to beat them and annoy them at the same time. (he he)

DK, seriously, you cant give pete compliments like that. It just goes to his head - which we all know is way over-inflated.

*****Warning Picture of Pete Below. Continue at your own risk******
(Bootie, I understand if you want to mod this post. Seeing Leto is offensive to most people)

[Image: spaceballs_large_07.jpg]
04-19-2008, 05:18 AM,
Wow Pete, how do you manage to get such silky hair? ;)
And what a cute button nose you have! :)