• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

New computer virus...?
07-24-2008, 10:01 AM,
New computer virus...?
Hi All,

I got an email warning of a new computer virus that arrives as a postcard from Hallmark, sent by somebody you know.

I have no idea if this is fact or fiction, but be aware, I don't send Hallmark postcards to my opponents, just pbem files.

If the Computer jocks like Raz and gang see this, maybe they can set me/us straight.

Thanks,
Ken
Quote this message in a reply
07-25-2008, 09:48 AM,
RE: New computer virus...?
Snopes.com is a great place for checking stuff like this out.

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/postcard.asp

That being said, it is always wise to exercise caution when opening email with links to stuff like this in it. If your not expecting it, don't open it.

There are some Ecard viruses floating around out there, make sure your Antivirus software is up to date. The free version of AVG does a pretty good job in my opinion.
07-25-2008, 10:58 AM,
Ken F. (FGM) Wrote:Hi All,

I got an email warning of a new computer virus that arrives as a postcard from Hallmark, sent by somebody you know.

I have no idea if this is fact or fiction, but be aware, I don't send Hallmark postcards to my opponents, just pbem files.

If the Computer jocks like Raz and gang see this, maybe they can set me/us straight.

Thanks,
Ken

I can't tell for a fact if there is such a virus/trojan/worm spreading through a hallmark postcard,but as a general rule,never ever open email attachments which might contain executable code.How can you tell if an attachment contain executable code?Just look at the file extension(the-usually-three characters after the last dot)-like for example image.jpg If the extension is exe/com/bat/js there are 99.99% chances it contains some sort of malware.[/b]
As for opening links,you should be safe assuming you use a browser like Firefox Big Grin
Send this user an email
07-25-2008, 12:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-25-2008, 12:12 PM by Justin MacDuro.)
Install an antivirus that scan the mail before open it can be useful too to preserve our pcs health .

I have installed one called Panda antivirus and it's not bad , it has a permanent protection that can detect malware in a file when you try to open it , it does automatically , you don't need to order the antivirus to check the file .

It works in the same way for all executable archives.
[Image: panzerschreck.gif]
07-29-2008, 11:34 AM,
Hi All,

Thanks for all the advice on how to deal with a potential virus.

Best regards,
Ken