• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

road movement
01-07-2010, 05:17 AM,
road movement
Is it necessary to plot each turn in a road for your units to follow it, or will they take the best route possible on their own? Right now I am clicking each curve in the road, and with a battalion of armour that is a real pain.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2010, 07:59 AM,
RE: road movement
As far as I know you have to plot each turn, which is a major pain, especially with a battalion.
01-07-2010, 08:07 AM,
Lets hope someone else knows an easier way, but I fear not. Thanks Dan.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
01-07-2010, 01:36 PM,
No easy way - you plot each turn. That becomes kind of a skill in itself!
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
01-07-2010, 09:45 PM,
And watch those vehicle speeds when placing your convey, the AI is stupid and will simply run faster vehicles into the back of slower ones in front, (which creates all sorts of problems!)

The only way to avoid this is to either design your convey in order of speed, or copious use of the 'pause' command.

Even if you lay out your convey in speed order, due to the differences in order delay between vehicles, there's still a chance of them running into each other. If you stagger them to each side of the road though this can be minimised, (but there's still no escaping the fact that you have to individually plot each vehicles path along the road!)
01-08-2010, 03:32 AM,
Pay attention to their rating in terms of veteran, regular, green, etc. The rawer they are the longer they will take to begin moving so in convoy you might want your best grade vehicles up front. As well tracked vehicles tend to begin movement faster than wheeled ones.

On non-road open terrain of course you can simple select all units and give them one movement order and they will move.

On road you must plot each turn and corner and I would suggest reverifying their plots each turn because if there is a traffic jam or one vehicle runs into another one they will automatically replot their movement and head off overland or create major problems for following vehicles
01-08-2010, 04:48 AM,
Thanks guys! I have noticed the traffic jam thing. I had 4 tanks in a row (scenario deployed) so I gave each one behind the lead a +10 pause (so 10, 20, 30) and the last guy still ended up catching up to and bumping into the lead tank. I was like "what the hell, they are all the same tank how is one moving faster then the other?".

And then there was the tank who the AI replotted his move from the road to into the river because of a jam.