• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Complete listing of all Alan Arvold scenarios
05-04-2022, 05:10 PM,
Write a Note  Complete listing of all Alan Arvold scenarios
I realised I need a master document to track all scenarios Alan Arvold's provided for the community, so wrote this blog.

After a recount, that's 402 community scenarios, mostly boardgame conversions, by Alan.

I take a bow.

https://cslegion.com/scenario-design/ode...-r-arvold/
Visit us at CSLegion.com
Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2022, 01:30 AM,
RE: Complete listing of all Alan Arvold scenarios
This is amazing. Thanks so much.
05-05-2022, 02:33 AM,
(05-05-2022, 01:30 AM)Nort Wrote: This is amazing.  Thanks so much.

Quite something, isn't it!
Visit us at CSLegion.com
05-14-2022, 11:58 AM,
(05-04-2022, 05:10 PM)Crossroads Wrote: I realised I need a master document to track all scenarios Alan Arvold's provided for the community, so wrote this blog.

After a recount, that's 402 community scenarios, mostly boardgame conversions, by Alan.

I take a bow.

https://cslegion.com/scenario-design/ode...-r-arvold/

All I can say is WOW, and Thank you!! as I look at the old boxed PanzerBlitz game on my bookshelf!! 

Thank you 

John
07-18-2022, 09:33 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-18-2022, 09:33 PM by Crossroads.)
Summertime and living is easy! And why not, with new boardgame conversions available both for EF and WF for you PanzerBlitz / Leader aficionados out there. 

As a reminder for Alan's boardgame conversions, they have not been tested for H2H play, enjoy them for what they are. 

West Front:

Panzer Leader: Operation Cobra - The Matrix Games version of West Front - TheBlitz

Operation Cobra - 7/26/1944

After weeks of fighting between British and German forces around Caen, the U.S. 2nd Armored and 1st Infantry Divisions began a breakout after slogging through the bocage in Normandy. Tattered kampfgruppes of the Panzer-Lehr Division set up positional defenses to slow the attack. With precious few mobile units available, the German command aimed for weakening the advance enough sothat reserve armor could be swung in to oppose the spearhead.

East Front:

PanzerBlitz: Werba, Recce, Buffel 3-sceanario set - The Matrix Games version of East Front II - TheBlitz

Werba 6/30/1941

Kampfgruppe Sickenius of the 16th Panzer Division defended the village of Werba southeast of Dubno. Elements of the 34th Tank Division, 8th Mech Corps on the Soviet side attacked south to break out of encirclement. Tanks of the 67th and 68th regiments along with some stray tank units, and a few fleeing infantry companies ran into an organized German force. The meeting erupted into a short and furious battle.

Case Blue: Recce 6/28/1942

40th recce battalion of 24th Panzer attempts to secure a breach in the Russian front lines, at a weak point near Kursk, between the Bryansk and Southwestern fronts. The advance is one of several in the area to make way for the main force. Elements of Soviet 40th Army, 160th Infantry Division are taken by surprise.

Operation Buffel 3/15/1943

The end of the Rzhev meat grinder was a final retreat of the German 9th Army. In this hypothetical situation, a Russian mechanised force moves through the mud and swamps only to be delayed by a German rear guard kampfgruppe. The spring thaw, rasputitsa limited maneuver of units such that only tanks equipped with special wide tracks could stay atop the mud. Infantry had to pick their way over minefields and skirt the swamps, or find themselves
mired in the waist deep muck.
Visit us at CSLegion.com
07-18-2022, 09:34 PM,
^ The original situation cards are available with downloads, determine your victory status perhaps from them.
Visit us at CSLegion.com
07-20-2022, 03:30 AM,
Thanks again. I love the new content.
09-15-2024, 08:46 PM, (This post was last modified: Yesterday, 03:25 AM by Crossroads.)
Another new batch of PanzerBlitz situation conversions from Alan, six of them, to be precise.

Thank you again, Alan! Wine

Download link to Scenario DB --> LINK TO THEBLITZ SCENARIO DATABASE

Seydlitz.*

The scenario that I am sending is called Operation Seydlitz. Operation Seydlitz was an operation that occurred on 2-12 July of 1942. The Germans had recently re-established their front lines, trapping group of Soviet forces behind them. In this case it was the Soviet 39th Army and 11th Cavalry Corps that was trapped behind the German 9th Army's lines. The Germans assembled units from four panzer, one motorized, and four infantry divisions, plus one ad hoc cavalry brigade for this operation. This scenario involves that cavalry brigade, whose proper designation was "Kavallerie Brigade z.b.V. Beim Armeeoberkommando 9", although it was more popularly known as Cavalry Brigade Model.
This scenario was based on an original Panzerblitz scenario created by Chris Fawcett back in 2007, who based it on a miniatures game that he had recently played.

Quote:Alan R. Arvold
7 July, 1942
30 Km W-SW of Rhezv, Russia [Best played against a human opponent.]
Following the Soviet 41-42 Winter Offensive, the Germans reestablished their front lines, sometimes trapping Soviet forces behind them.
The cut-off Soviet 39th Army and 11th Cavalry Corps were one such force, dug into a wooded swampland area, threatening the supply lines of the German Ninth Army. The German Ninth Army commander. General Walther Model assembled a scratch cavalry/panzer force, as part of Operation Seydlitz, to root out the Soviets.
This scenario is based on an original Panzerblitz scenario by Chris Fawcett.

Seelow Heights.*

Here is another Panzerblitz scenario that I have converted to East Front. Its title is the "Seelow Heights". It is based on an original Panzerblitz scenario by Tom Williams, which was itself based on a microarmor miniatures battle that Tom participated in back about 2007. It looks interesting. Let me know what you think of it.

19 April, 1945
Seelow, 65 km East of Berlin. [Best played against human opponent.]
For three days the German forces in front of the town of Seelow, consisting of the Muencheberg Panzer Division, along with elements of the 25th Panzer Grenadier, 11th SS Panzer Grenadier, and 9th Parachute Divisions, have held off assaults by the Russian 8th Guards Army. Today would be no different as reorganized units from the Russian 4th Guards Rifle Corps (47th and 57th Guards Rifle Divisions), supported by the 11th Tank Corps again make their attacks upon the German line. Although the Germans would again repell the Russians, eventually they would have to withdraw back towards Berlin due to a breakthrough of the German line north of the their positions.
(This scenario is based on an original Panzerblitz scenario by Tom Williams.)

S&T #22.*

This East Front scenario is a special one. It is a conversion of the very first Panzerblitz scenario that was published back in the summer of 1970.  Now you are probably wondering how can that be since Panzerblitz wasn't published until October of 1970. Well, the Strategy & Tactics magazine #22, which came out in July of 1970, had among its contents a preview of the then new Panzerblitz game that was to be released in the fall. As part of the preview there was an abridged set of the rules, some counters, and a minigame for people to play. It used the map sheet of the main game in that issue (Renaissance of Infantry) which was a tactical on the same level as Panzerblitz. It was an introductory game to get people interested in the main game when it came out.

Back in February of this year, a man named John Cooper updated the old mini-game. He took the mapsheet and redid it using the proper artwork from the boards in the game. He made a countersheet using the same artwork as the counters in the game and he made a proper scenario card for the minigame. He posted it on Consimworld, which is where I downloaded it from.  The mini-game is meant to be played using the normal Panzerblitz rules. However, the scenario is rather unbalanced in favor of the Russians, at least that's what most gamers who have tried it say. Anyway, I took the mini-game and converted it to East Front. I include the three files for the scenario, plus a zip file which contains the mini-game as it was downloaded from Consimworld.

November, 1944
The time is November, 1944. The Russian fall offensive has just swept into Kiev, the capital of the Ukraine. To the southwest of the city the Germans made a penetration, using a kampfgruppe from the 25th Panzer Division, in an attempt to throw the Soviets back. The Russian 195th Rifle Division had one rifle regiment (the 491st) in a blocking position to stop them. Behind them, tank and motorized units from the 20th Tank Corps were beng held in reserve, to resupply, rebuild, and prepare for the next push or German counterattack, whichever came first.
(Based on the original Panzerblitz Mini-Game published in Strategy & Tactics magazine #22.)

Minsk 41.*  (+ Grodno fix)

Here is another Panzerblitz scenario that I have converted to East Front. Minsk 41 is an early battle where the German northern pincer is pushing hard to close the Minsk pocket and the Russians are trying to prevent this.

I also include the corrected scenario file for Grodno, my previous scenario. In it I changed the game length from 10 turns to 12.

26 June, 1941
30 Km north of Minsk (Best played against human opponent.):
Elements of the German 7th and 20th Panzer Divisions, of the 39th Panzer Corps, from General Hoth's Third Panzer Group, attack the Russian
64th Rifle Division, commanded by Colonel S.I. Iovlev, in order  to seal the Minsk pocket.
Based on a Panzerblitz scenario byRick Northey.

KalachOnDon.*

Here is yet another East Front scenario, Kalach on the Don. I include not only the three files for the scenario, but also the original Panzerblitz scenario that it is based on.

I had to make some changes to the scenario when converting it. I left out most of the mechanized brigade as historically they did not get into the fight until after it was over, so I only had the actual Soviet units in the battle present. The main problem with Panzerblitz is that you can bring on a whole mass of units to the board in one turn, even if they have only one entrance hex. in East Front you are limited on what you can bring on the board in a single hex in one turn.

22 November, 1942
Kalach on Don (65 Km west of Stalingrad): [Best played against
human opponent.]:
The Russian 19th Tank Brigade along with attachments from the 14th Motorized Rifle Brigade and other elements of the 26th Tank Corps, under the command of Lt Col G. N. Filippov, atttack the bridge at Kalach-on-Don. Engineers and other rear elements of the German 16th Panzer Division, try to block the attack and blow the bridge, in order to preserve an escape route for General Paulus's 6th Army that is nearly trapped to the east.
This is the last crucial battle of Operation Uranus.
Based on an original Panzerblitz scenario by Rick Northey.

Kutuzov.*

Here is another scenario for your perusal. Although it is listed as a Panzer Leader scenario, it is really an Eastern Front battle so I treat it as a Panzerblitz scenario. As usual, I have included the three files for East Front and the original scenario itself. I did include off-the-board artillery for the Russians in the way of a battalion from the Heavy Mortar Regiment that was part of the Russian force.

28 July, 1943
Beyle-Berega [Best played against human opponent.]:
As the Soviet assault into the Orel salient contiunes to gather pace, German operations in the area quickly degrade from stand-and-fight type
defenses to desparate delayng actions. Here, a battered kampfgruppe from the German Grossduetschland Panzergrenadier Division tries
to cover the retreat towards Briansk. As if the odds weren't steep enough, the approaching Soviet spearhead from the 1st Tank Corps includes the 1536th SU Artillery Regiment, which fields a terrifying new weapon first introduced at the recent Battle of Kursk, the SU-152 assault gun.
This scenario is based on an original Panzerblitz scenario by Rick Northey.
Visit us at CSLegion.com
09-15-2024, 09:04 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-15-2024, 09:07 PM by Crossroads.)
... and here's a fresh Panzer Leader 1940 conversion as well. Out of all PB/PL conversions, I like these early war situations the most. Unit density is typically not that high, so they work better on the small boardgame maps. Also, the early war tech is not that deadly either, which adds to playability as well. This scenario puts Matildas and Hotchisses against Pz38s, what fun!

Here's what Alan had to say about the scenario:

Here is a West Front scenario named "Assault on Wailley". It depicts part of the battle of Arras on 21 May, 1940.  Again, it is a conversion of an original Panzer Leader scenario, which itself was a conversion of a micro-armor battle. Alas, I could not find out who the author of the original scenario was.

21 May, 1940
Wailley; 6 Km SW of Arras: [Best played against human opponent.]:
With the Allied armies in disarray, Viscount Gort, commander-in-chief of the BEF, decided on a counter attack against the German offensive in the vicinity of the town of Arras in an attempt to at least delay the German offensive, or at best, cut the spearhead of the German army off. Leading the attack was a battlegroup codenamed Frankforce, commanded by Major-General Franklin. Frankforce attacked in two columns, this scenario depicts the right column's advance against the town of Wailley during the assault, which is held by elements of the German 3rd SS and 7th Panzer Divisions. 
This scenario is based on an original Panzer Leader scenario.

Here's the download link: Assault on Wailley - The Matrix Games version of West Front - TheBlitz
Visit us at CSLegion.com