• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Thoughts about "stale" CM topics
11-28-2006, 05:47 AM,
Thoughts about "stale" CM topics
Many of us ( myself included ) have been playing the CM series games for nearly 4 or 5+ years. I've participated in many CM discussions on several different boards. I've found that I seldom post anymore simply because it seems a lot of the topics, tactics, strategies, etc, have been discussed over and over and over throughout the years. This is no one's fault, but simply the result of a loyal, eager, fan base playing and discussing the game for so many years. After a while, it gets tough to come up with new topics that haven't already been discussed many times before.

But then I thought about two things that my feeble mind hadn't thought of before.

1) There are still a few people that are just now discovering CM. For this reason I guess it's still worthwhile to discuss topics and strategies that, perhaps, have already been thoroughly examined by veteran players.

2) Perhaps even veteran players have learned some new things, have new opinions on old topics, or simply still enjoy discussing the topics even if they've been talked about many times before.

I was wondering what other people's thoughts are on discussing ( or reading ) CM topics that deal with tips, strategies, gameplay, etc, that may be old "stale" topics. Do you think they're still worthwhile or are they a waste of messageboard space?

Quote this message in a reply
11-28-2006, 06:07 AM,
RE: Thoughts about "stale" CM topics
I think we should discuss them... they may be old to us but to a new player they are new ideas.... and it is great to see different opinions regarding these old threads from new members. CM is a game where you can never be completely on top of it... there is always more to learn due to its depth and varied parameters.

Bootie
11-28-2006, 06:11 AM,
Definitely worthwhile. We all have our favorite tactics that have blinded us to trying or even considering something new, so when I (a reasonably skilled player, I think) hear about someone else's success with some idea, even if some consider it a standard approach, I always find it interesting. There are probably many little things I've never tried, even if others have.
11-28-2006, 06:12 AM,
Definitely worthwhile. We all have our favorite tactics that have blinded us to trying or even considering something new, so when I (a reasonably skilled player, I think) hear about someone else's success with some idea, even if some consider it a standard approach, I always find it interesting. There are probably many little things I've never tried, even if others have.
11-28-2006, 06:30 AM,
Hi, gentlemen.

I definitely think that we must continue to spare our knowledge of CM, this fantastic game.
We always learn new things, new ideas, new strategy. And every player is concerned, rookies and veterans. But how do you define a veteran ? with my 106 games, i don't know in which category i am ranked, but i know one thing. I learn more on every battle i play, or with certain topics i read on this forum.
Just read an Ivan McIntosh's post about strategy or equipment's using, and you will feel the sensation that you are better at CM than before that reading (special thanks to Ivan and all the other posters who spare and talk about CM)
that is the prime role of a forum like the Blitz's one.

Thanks to all those who make it alive !

Cheers.:)
Hubert
Idiots dare everything. That is the way to recognize them (Michel Audiard)
11-28-2006, 07:27 AM,
I too have been playing CM for several years, but just recently discovered the joy of playing against other players. As such, I have had to drastically revise my tactics and strategies. Few things that work against the AI will work against a real person. So what may seem old news and stale to many is still new and novel to me. I would hope that the "old-timers" would recognize this and be patient to develop us noobs, if for no other reason than to keep the community alive and healthy.
11-28-2006, 07:33 AM,
And I bet after playing another person you will never go back to playing the AI.... well thats what happened in my case anyways.

Bootie
11-28-2006, 07:35 AM,
I think I agree that the information and discussioins are still valuable even though, for some of us, it may feel as if it's the same stuff being hashed over again and again.

jawsconan Wrote:... But how do you define a veteran ?...

In the context of my post, I wasn't necessarily referring to the number of games one has played but more in terms of how long one has been playing CM. I think CMBO shipped sometime in 2000. Which means it's possible for some CM vets to have been discussing CM topics on messageboards for 6 years now.

Quite a testimony to a very successful wargaming series.
11-28-2006, 07:37 AM,
Where did the time go eh??

I remember this place when it was nowt but green fields... LOL

Bootie
11-28-2006, 07:44 AM,
RE:��Thoughts about "stale" CM topics
Bootie(FGM) Wrote:And I bet after playing another person you will never go back to playing the AI

Bootie

Well Bootie, you were my first. I'll always remember my first. And you're right, I haven't booted up a battle against the AI since.