• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Poll: Are you happy with CMSF?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
It's the best CM yet, top marks.
8.33%
1 8.33%
It's OK but needs improvements quickly.
75.00%
9 75.00%
Awful...waste of my money.
16.67%
2 16.67%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Happy bunnies or grumpy Santa's.
08-01-2007, 03:11 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-01-2007, 03:16 AM by Thor.)
Happy bunnies or grumpy Santa's.
I was just curious as to what people think of CMSF now that it's been loose for a few days, what are the things you love and what do you hate.

On the plus side i like the graphics (providing you have a machine that can poke them along), the fact that the game is modular and they will be releasing expansion packs in the future and the setting is a nice change from having just another rehash of WW2.....lots of nice toys to play with. :smg:

On the negative side i'm not happy with the TacAI so far, it seems a bit slow off the mark at times. The lack of a random map generator, the queuing of orders for units is a bit hit'n'miss and the camera is a bit awkward at times. A lack of a detailed in game squad/unit info panel is also a pain (one with weapon ranges and firepower ratings like we have in the CMx1 games). And finally PBEM files seem very easily corrupted.....just ask Bootie. :rolleyes:

I get the feeling CMSF wants to be a full blown RT game but got stuck in no-mans land instead.

Fingers crossed that future patches will solve some of these problems.

cheers
Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2007, 05:02 AM,
RE: Happy bunnies or grumpy Santa's.
I would call it a diamond in the rough.

I am playing a pbem - kind a QB like what I proposed in that blitz QB thread - of just infantry in heavy trees and hills against runyan. I am really enjoying it. Every turn I go down to level 1 and watch my men load their AKs and RPGs. When a guy gets hurt, one of their buddies tries to bandage. Their is definitely lots of cool stuff.

I might do an AAR showing different stuff for some of the holdouts.
08-01-2007, 07:41 AM,
RE: Happy bunnies or grumpy Santa's.
On the evidence of the demo, CMSF has some major pathfinding and TAC AI issues....eg the dismount command is deadly in turn based, because its a minute before you can give another order.

With real time, theres not half the problem because you pause and correct. For turn based, the tac AI needs to kick in to help, and it isn't...because turn based is not the core design of the game. So a Stryker will try and take on a T72 instead of retreating, troops coming under serious fire won't drop to the ground, and it seems near impossible to actually rout enemy troop.....they stand and die in place. You can suppress them, but even that seems terrifically hard to do. Last night I laid my first artillery barrage (absolutely LOVE the new artillery sequence btw, its great) and it was causing terrific damage to Syrian infantry that were also under tank, Stryker, MMG and infantry fire, and the half a doz survivors of the platoon were still happily shooting back.

Pathfinding and TacAI....those things can be worked on and almost certainly will be.

There is a heap of potential in this game, notwithstanding some real problems.