• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

PC Problem - any ideas?
12-19-2007, 06:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-19-2007, 06:25 PM by Elltee.)
PC Problem - any ideas?
Typical - my PC is playing up - here is the problem - my keyboard is very erratic - it seems to type ok for 2 minutes then freezes up - when you press a key it beeps - plus the num lock and tab lock lights flash on and off at random - i've plugged in a new keyboard and the same thing happens.

Any ideas?

(PS I typed this at work - a passage of this length would be impossible at home at present)
Quote this message in a reply
12-19-2007, 06:29 PM,
RE: PC Problem - any ideas?
Elltee Wrote:Typical - my PC is playing up - here is the problem - my keyboard is very erratic - it seems to type ok for 2 minutes then freezes up - when you press a key it beeps - plus the num lock and tab lock lights flash on and off at random - i've plugged in a new keyboard and the same thing happens.

Any ideas?

(PS I typed this at work - a passage of this length would be impossible at home at present)

Are you using a wireless keyboard & mouse ?.

If you are and they have batteries, how about changing the batteies ? (this happened to my dad) or if it still carries on buy new a keyboard & mouse.
Antoni ChmielowskigGames Played : WiTP-AE, TOAW3,Gary Grigsbys War in The East/ War In The West
12-19-2007, 07:01 PM,
no its a wire keyboard - and i have tried a different keyboard so the problem is in the PC somewhere
12-19-2007, 07:30 PM,
Try plugging it into a different USB port. If you are using an old PS/2 style mouse use an adaptor. Checkout some of the vendor [keyboard, PC...] forums and see if anyone has experienced a similar problem and what the solution was. For example, you may need to "flash" the BIOS so that it recognises the keyboard properly or similar...

If this has started recently after installing new software then try to restore the system to an earlier date i.e. prior to the installation of the software. More drastically, reinstall Windows.

If your machine is under warranty try to get support, if not, hope that one of the above helps - otherwise you may need a new PC as a Xmas present! :)

Hope this helps...
12-19-2007, 09:34 PM,
I've done some of the above - off to get a PS2 to USB adaptor which hopefully will solve it. Not really up on the technical side of PC's I just plug in and play so if adaptor does not work I may be back for a step by step guide - Thanks
12-20-2007, 02:28 AM,
sorted it - bought a usb keyboard
12-20-2007, 03:32 AM,
Incidentally these two good PC Help forums usually get me out of trouble-

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/

http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/