• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Tournament Play
01-14-2008, 04:03 AM,
Tournament Play
Do those of you that play in tournaments prefer team competitions or single gamer competitions?

In other words, do you like playing in a team or as an individual?

There are some tournaments that are forming and they could go either way at the moment.

Your feedback could determine how they are offered.

Good Hunting.

MR
Quote this message in a reply
01-14-2008, 05:38 AM,
RE: Tournament Play
I like and play both.
01-14-2008, 02:14 PM,
I like both too.
01-14-2008, 03:33 PM,
I like both. But I like small teams - 2 to 4 players.
01-14-2008, 09:07 PM,
I like tournies that end. Have played in 4 of those only one completed.
01-14-2008, 11:39 PM,
Fullhouse Wrote:I like tournies that end. Have played in 4 of those only one completed.

I can understand that.

The only tournie I played in ended. The one I've run so far ended. The one I'm running now has an end in site.

I see that POS has a very definite plan for ending them too. His seem to end with no problem. I believe there are several ways to make that happen.

Good Hunting.

MR
01-14-2008, 11:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-14-2008, 11:43 PM by Mad Russian.)
How long would you prefer to see the tournament in terms of months played?

What size team do you think would be fielded by the Blitz? How many players?

At the moment I can see no less than 4 clubs in one of the tournaments and possibly as many as 6. The goal would then be to have them play a series of new scenarios against each other. Each club would play another club one time. The winning club would be the one with the highest scores at the end.

A gamer could only represent one club. The captain of the team wouldn't have to play. Any game not finished by a club would be a 100-0 loss.

Good Hunting.

MR
01-15-2008, 03:24 AM,
Mad Russian Wrote:I see that POS has a very definite plan for ending them too. His seem to end with no problem. I believe there are several ways to make that happen.

Good Hunting.

MR

I think in every tourney I have been in, time limits are set for when games have to be completed, but they are never honored. Which just causes the tourney to fizzle and die in most cases.

Time frames should be made very clear up front and enforced.
01-15-2008, 03:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-15-2008, 04:15 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
Mad Russian Wrote:I see that POS has a very definite plan for ending them too. His seem to end with no problem. I believe there are several ways to make that happen.

It's easy mate, just slap a finishing deadline on them..:)
Malitz began in mid-December and ends 6 weeks later at midnight on Jan 31st, that gives everybody an easily-understood 'objective' to aim for, and they can customise their file-return rate accordingly to slot in with that annoying thing called 'Real Life'.

For example Malitz is a 20+ turn game, therefore about 60 files will take it to turn 20, but of course each player will only need to return half of those (30 files).
6 weeks is 42 days, so if he returns one file a day it'll only take a month to reach 20 turns, with 2 weeks elbow room to spare for overtime and unforeseen events (PC breakdown,UFO abduction, boss, wife, kids and mother-in-law trouble etc..:)
In fact 25 out of 33 Malitz games have already finished within a month of the start which is pretty good going..:)

PS-I don't organise 'Tourneys' as such, which require multiple rounds and could go on for months/years, I prefer to do short sharp fast 'Competitions' like Malitz.
In the distant past I entered several Tourneys but never liked them much because of their slowness, and never won any.
In fact I don't even know if they're still going, they were launched in a blaze of publicity like the Titanic with lots of cheering and flagwaving, then seemed to sink without trace..;)

BTW for my next Competition I'm toying with doing it on a team basis of some kind but its still in the planning stage, all I know for sure is that it'll be a short sharp 6-weeker with a silver Trophy at the end of it as usual and should be ready to go around March..:)
01-15-2008, 03:56 AM,
Hi,

Well, i think i prefer playing tournament as individual, although i never played a team tournament.
May be like that, i have more responsability concerning the final result. like this, i am forced to manage the best i can to get the best result. That is a kind of psychological pressure.

Regards
Hubert
Idiots dare everything. That is the way to recognize them (Michel Audiard)