• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Feedback wanted
01-20-2008, 07:48 AM,
Feedback wanted
Is it my imagination or are my Blitz screenshots displaying slower nowadays?
For example my new 'Combat Gallery' thread in the Tac Discussion area takes a full 8+ minutes to display when I click on it, as each picture slowly 'scans' onto the screen.
Most of my other screenshot threads (such as Malitz) also seem to be taking a long time to display too.
So to find out whether my PC's to blame, can you tell me if you're having the same slow display problem too?
Thanks
Quote this message in a reply
01-20-2008, 08:03 AM,
RE: Feedback wanted
It seems to me that way too. I thought it might have been my machine but maybe it has something to do with the forum software. Either that or maybe the sheer volume of your stunning and very informative screenshots has put the site at the max of it capacity Big Grin
I remember Canada's Forgotten Veterans

http://www.vcn.bc.ca/~jeffrey1/tribute.htm
01-20-2008, 08:30 AM,
No,POS,it's not your PC to blame,not the blitz server,Okimaw :)
Basically,two things affect how fast a picture is displayed:
1)Your internet connection
2)How fast the server which hosts the pictures-photobucket.com-in this particular case can handle the request.
And those pictures are quite big.From what i could tell around 800-900 KB.If there are 25 pictures to be displayed,20 MB of data will need to be downloaded.And you might need more than a couple of seconds to do it.Perhaps not 8 minutes,but you got my point,i believe cheers
Send this user an email
01-20-2008, 09:09 AM,
Hmm..I used to do all my pics in JPG format, but more recently I switched to PNG format because its better definition.
But PNG needs bigger filesize, that must be the cause of the slowing.
Okay as a good compromise i'll switch back to JPG for most pics,but will have to stick to PNG for pics that need a lot of arrows and frontlines drawing on them, or they'll show up blurred in JPG.

PS - Another question I've been meaning to ask Blitz members is whether my screenshots appear too light, normal or too dark?
Apparently some monitors see them differently.
01-20-2008, 10:34 AM,
Your screenshots are appearing normally on my machine and there does not seem to be any more of a delay here, at least not noticable.
01-20-2008, 10:47 AM,
Thanks mate, I'm also asking around the PC Help and Photobucket forums and I've been told PNG screenshots are definitely the cause of the slowing on average or low-end computers like mine, its the price we pay for the better definition PNG gives us.
There are ways round the problem however, which I'm working on, for example not all my screenshots need to be PNG, so I can get away with making them just JPG..:)
01-20-2008, 11:24 AM,
No problems this end old spiker, just keep them screenshots coming me old mate! :)
01-20-2008, 11:40 AM,
[Image: varinia.png]
01-20-2008, 06:12 PM,
PoorOldSpike Wrote:Okay as a good compromise i'll switch back to JPG for most pics,but will have to stick to PNG for pics that need a lot of arrows and frontlines drawing on them, or they'll show up blurred in JPG.

which tool you using for your screenshots? i guess win paint.

http://www.photofiltre-studio.com/

use this and you jpegs will be much sharper.
01-21-2008, 02:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-21-2008, 02:25 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
Yes mate,I use Paint program to draw lines and arrows and stuff on the screenshots, but then if I save them as JPG they come out blurred and useless, so I have to save in PNG which doesn't blur.
But PNG images need more bytes and will slow the display time down.
I'm also experimenting with Irfanview to paint lines and stuff, but there's no option in it to draw curved lines.
But i've asked around the net and found out there are a few ways to overcome the PNG problem so it's no big deal anymore, but i'll have a look at Photofiltre anyway, thanks for the suggestion..:)