• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

THE TRIDENT TROPHY COMPETITION
02-29-2008, 08:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-29-2008, 09:35 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
RE: THE TRIDENT TROPHY COMPETITION
RESULT JUST IN - Huzaar beat POS

As usual, my armour-heavy force hadn't the infantry manpower to hold the line across all three sectors..
[Image: Huz-endZ.png]

My armour held the central village but Huzaars Americans continued infiltrating right to the end..
[Image: Huz-endC-1.gif]
-----------------------------------------------------------------

GAMES FINISHED SO FAR (Feb 29th) - 12/25

(POS-beaters listed in order of finishing, NOT in order of highest scores)

DasTiger beat POS
Elltee beat POS
Jobu beat POS
Feldfebel beat POS
Marshall666 beat POS
Lord Bane beat POS
John B50 beat POS
Colonel Talvela beat POS
RNL Tiger beat POS
Owl beat POS
Huzaar beat POS

POS record so far - Played 12, Won 1, Lost 11
Quote this message in a reply
02-29-2008, 09:20 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-29-2008, 10:19 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
bluehand Wrote:You know I love hertzers too but their ammo load sucks especially machine gun. you should try just runnning around them with infantry. try backing off and smoking them too.

Yes mate or else I should have bought Fireflies which have a reasonable chance of hurting Hetzers frontally but they're expensive.
Here are some veteran costs for May 1945 cmak -

Firefly VC (17pdr) - 289 pts
Sherman V (75mm) -171 pts

Hetzer - 128 pts
PzIVH - 182 pts

(American 76mm-armed tanks such as Sherms and M10's can't really hurt the Hetzer too much frontally)
----------------------------------------------

MEMO to all competitors

Some of you who've beaten me have reported your wins on the Blitz ladder.
That's fine by me if you want to announce to the whole world what your level of victory was like that, but if you want to keep it secret go delete it and report it when the tourney's over..;)

[Image: Spy.png]
03-01-2008, 12:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-01-2008, 12:57 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
RESULT JUST IN - POS bt Combat Wombat

The city and woods sectors were evenly matched, but my main force held in the centre to scrape a tac win....
[Image: Wom-endZ.png]

After taking this flag, Wombats Germans threatened the village from the flank..
[Image: Wom-endA.gif]

This is Wombats machinegunner who made the daring amphibious assault by boat, he successfully takes 100 points from the enemy by keeping the flag grey..
[Image: Wom-endB.gif]

These 3 Shermans tried to break into the city but Wombat stopped 2 in their tracks..
[Image: Wom-endD.gif]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

GAMES FINISHED SO FAR (Feb 29th) - 13/25

DasTiger beat POS
Elltee beat POS
Jobu beat POS
Feldfebel beat POS
Marshall666 beat POS
Lord Bane beat POS
John B50 beat POS
Colonel Talvela beat POS
RNL Tiger beat POS
Owl beat POS
Huzaar beat POS

POS record so far - Played 13, Won 2, Lost 11
03-01-2008, 06:43 AM,
Speaking of the weak allied tanks...

[Image: crackfireflygh6.jpg]

That was a :censored:! A brave half-squad put it to a stop, but not before it took out half of my tank force :hissy:.
03-01-2008, 06:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-02-2008, 10:23 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
RESULT JUST IN - Odies beat POS

The city and woods were bitterly contested..
[Image: Odies-endA.png]

And the mixed sector was stalemated, each sides tanks fought themselves to a standstill..
[Image: Odies-B.gif]

Both sides ended with units inside the church..
[Image: Odies-end-C.gif]
--------------------------------------------------------------

GAMES FINISHED SO FAR (March 1st) - 14/25

DasTiger beat POS
Elltee beat POS
Jobu beat POS
Feldfebel beat POS
Marshall666 beat POS
Lord Bane beat POS
John B50 beat POS
Colonel Talvela beat POS
RNL Tiger beat POS
Owl beat POS
Huzaar beat POS
Odies beat POS

POS record so far - Played 14, Won 2, Lost 12
03-01-2008, 06:41 PM,
Good to see at least one Aussie giving it to the POM .. sorry I mean POS.. ;) ..
03-02-2008, 04:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-04-2008, 09:25 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
CURRENT LEADER BOARD (March 1st)

I was going to keep the scores secret til the end of the tourney, but more and more competitors are asking me to post the current standings, so to put them out of their misery here are the POS-beaters in descending order -

RNL Tiger (total vic 90-10) = margin 80
Lord Bane (maj vic 83-17) = marg 66
Marshall666 (maj vic 73-27) = marg 46
JohnB50 and Owl (maj vic each 72-28) = marg 44
Colonel Talvela (tac vic 67-33) = marg 34
Odies (tac vic 65-35) = marg 30
Das Tiger (tac vic 64-36) = marg 28
Feldfebel and Jobu (min vic 59-41) = marg 18
Huzaar (draw 52-48) = marg 4
Elltee (draw 51-49) = marg 2

So RNL Tiger is the current front runner to lift the trophy.
But there are still 11 more results to come in before the tourney ends midnight March 31st..;)

POS record so far - Played 14, Won 2, Lost 12

RNL dominated in all sectors, my tank-heavy force lacked the infantry to flesh out the line across all 3 sectors.
As in most of my Trident battles a lot of my purchase points were soaked up by the expensive Fireflies I had to include in my tank force as insurance against any heavy German armour that might show up.
[Image: RNL-endX.png]

My two Shermans at bottom centre were forced back by Hetzers and infantry-power, I had to keep backpedalling away from their longish-ranged panzerfaust 60's and 100's
[Image: RNL-endA.gif]

I committed these two Shermans to the city but they were overwhelmed by RNL's faust-toting infantry and a lurking gun..
[Image: RNL-cit.gif]

I only had a single Brit infantry platoon in the woods and it stood no chance (beat-up remnants ringed)..
[Image: RNL-woods.gif]
---------------------------------------------------

Some earlier RNL Combat Footage -

My Sher 75 got the first shot on this Hetzer, saw it ping and immediately chickened and slammed into reverse before it could fire back...I'm getting a bad feeling about this..
[Image: RNLJ.gif]

This Hetzer forced my Sher 75 to panic-reverse earlier, now the Hetzer gets a kill against another one...[Image: RNLP.gif]

Aargh I knew the gun was there after seeng it ages ago, but completely forgot about it and walked my Sher 75 straight into its line of fire and it lets fly with a wicked pointy shell..
[Image: RNL-gun.gif]
03-02-2008, 05:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-02-2008, 06:10 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
COMBAT FOOTAGE (woods sector) - Panzer Dans Sher 105 shrugs off infantry ambush..

My German squad fired a rifle-grenade (white dotted line) but it hit the turret side with no effect. They then fired another (ringed in datastrip) which missed. They then threw a grenade and scored a hit but it had no effect because the Sherman fired back, routing the squad..
[Image: Dan-rifgrn.gif]
03-02-2008, 10:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-02-2008, 10:32 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
RESULT JUST IN - Kawaiku v POS = Draw

Kawaiku conquered the woods, but the other sectors were largely stalemated..
[Image: Kaw-endA.png]

Both sides infantry deny each other control of this flag..
[Image: Kaw-end-inf.gif]
-------------------------------------------------------------------

NO CHANGE TO LEADER BOARD (see post 217), RNL Tiger still leads competition

POS record so far - Played 15, Won 3, Lost 12
03-02-2008, 06:16 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-02-2008, 08:48 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
COMBAT FOOTAGE (mixed sector) - Stndrtnfhr exposes the Allied weakness..

This pic illustrates a recurring dilemma of Trident, where the only way of stopping enemy Hetzers is to buy Fireflies which can penetrate them frontally.
Here my Firefly gets lucky and kills a Hetzer, but will it kill the next to come along, and the next..?
Trouble is, vet Fireflies cost 289 pts apiece (compared to a vet Hetzers 128) which means buying just a couple of Fireflies takes a huge chunk of purchase points, leaving fewer points for standard 75mm Shermans and infantry, that's what I mean about the Allied 'weakness'.
(The Sher on the left is a standard 75mm, not a chance of penetrating the Hetzer, it can only stand and watch)
16 of the 25 Trident competitors chose to be German, and most of them (gulp) bought Hetzers..

[Image: Stn-het.gif]
-----------------------------------------------------

MEMO TO ALL COMPETITORS

You might as well go and report your finished games on the Blitz ladder if you haven't already done so, now that we've scrapped the secrecy thing..:)
Report as 'CMAK Quick Battle 2000 points'