• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

GREEN LIGHT TOURNEY
07-17-2008, 08:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-25-2008, 02:35 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
RE: GREEN LIGHT TOURNEY
COMBAT FOOTAGE- The River

[Image: ariv.gif]

Having knocked out Risnervich's gun and MG-bunker (red X's) and beating up some Russian squads, my invading column is free to pour across the bridge unimpeded, bypassing the central woods which may be harbouring a few diehard molotov-throwers.
The cost to the Germans for forcing the river line was a wrecked 8-wheeler and PzIVF2 (blue X's)
But as the triumphant panzers race for the city ahead they glimpse the ominous sight of several Red Star icons among the distant buildings as the newly-arriving Russian reinfs prepare a welcoming committee..
[Image: Ris-brt.gif]

[Image: Ger-column.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
07-17-2008, 09:11 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-25-2008, 02:35 PM by PoorOldSpike.)

Turn 1 and RT Pioneer's German armoured car (bottom right) breaks through the river line single-handed, racing at high speed deep into the russian Hinterland. At this point in time there are no - repeat no - Russian units in front of the car all the way to the end of the map..
Meanwhile behind him RTP's panzers stage a 'horns of the buffalo' assault across the fords, beating my ZIS-3 gun to scrap metal (red X) but not before losing a panzer (blue X) to its return fire as it fought desperately for its life..
[Image: RTP-bra.gif]
07-17-2008, 11:43 AM,
Heya Spike! I would like to have a go at this one if you still have space. Feel free to send on a setup file at your leisure! Looks like fun stuff!
07-17-2008, 10:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-25-2008, 02:36 PM by PoorOldSpike.)

It's only the first turn and Mikey's panzers quickly wreck the MG-bunker on the road and the ZIS-3 gun at bott right with a hail of fire, it fired back and scored a penetration against something in the fog of war..
He then followed up with a panzergrenadier assault across the bridge in halftracks against the main Russian position, killing their officer (circled) who found his foxhole gave him less protection than he'd hoped..
[Image: Ma-1.gif]
07-18-2008, 03:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-25-2008, 02:36 PM by PoorOldSpike.)

Nort's ZIS-3 gun bloodies the nose of my panzergruppe by knocking out one of the panzers in the leading wave..
Return fire quickly silenced the gun and also demolished the MG-bunker on the bridge end, but now I'm left with a panzer wreck blocking the road causing delay, and a wrecked bunker blocking half the road which will cause further delay..
[Image: Norta.gif]
07-18-2008, 04:15 AM,
Delay is the name of the game. :stir:
07-18-2008, 06:36 AM,
Sign me up.
07-18-2008, 07:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-18-2008, 09:36 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
THE BUNKER

I'm finding them real pests at blocking the road even after they've been knocked out. In Green Light it can't be placed in the middle of the bridge (which is out of its red setup zone), but it can be placed on the Russian end of the bridge which is almost as troublesome, so I ran these few tests to explore things further..
Here I've plotted the PzIVF2's straight through a wrecked MG-bunker -
[Image: bunka.gif]

But they flatly refuse to try squeezing round it, and instead auto-plot their own route to look for another way across the river. The 3 at the back concertinad into each other and are freaking..
[Image: bunkc.gif]
07-18-2008, 07:56 AM,
But in this next test, I've carefully tried plotting the tanks to squeeze around each side of the wrecked bunker without bumping it or toppling into the river. (The poor slob on the road is the knocked-out bunkers crew)
[Image: bunkf.gif]

Bingo it works! (except for the one at the back who's stopped and freaking out for some reason, maybe I plotted him a shade too close to the bunker or the edge of the bridge, or maybe he's on skunk, I dunno)
[Image: bunkg.gif]

CONCLUSION - You CAN plot your medium tanks around a bunker on a dirt road/ medium bridge and most will get past.
07-18-2008, 08:04 AM,
BUNKER ON DIRT ROADS IN WOODS

This situation may also arise in Green Light, so I tested it out.
First, I plotted the tanks straight through the trashed bunker to see what'd happen..
[Image: bunkb.gif]

This is what happened, they bumped into it, jammed their brakes on and began milling around whistling Dixie....
[Image: bunkd.gif]

But a turn later some began getting their act together and were auto-plotting around the bunker but with a lot of bumping and grinding into each other..
[Image: bunke.gif]

So in this next test I tried carefully laying these plots to take them around the bunker..
[Image: bunkh.gif]

Bingo, it works! They all get past except for one who freaked for some reason and began bouncing around like a crackhead in a padded cell, there's always one..
[Image: bunki.gif]

CONCLUSION - You CAN carefully plot your medium tanks around a bunker on a dirt road in woods and most will get past..