• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Is anybody out there??
11-17-2008, 12:42 PM,
Is anybody out there??
[Image: tumbleweed.jpg]

I was exchanging mails with another Blitz member today about why our site has gotten so quiet lately.

In my opinion a few things have combined to make the perfect storm.

1) This is a dying game as Battlefront isn't updating it anymore.

2) Many of the most prolific posters we had were either banned or have left on their own.

3) The few CM players that are left on earth are all fragmented into several different clubs around the net, all doing their own thing instead of being in one club.

4) The current Blitz all-time ladder view discourages new players, who look at the huge scores on page one and give up - when they realize it would take 5+ years to get to that page.

Also this member mentioned that "pretty much everything that can be discussed, has been." I didn't mention his name as I didn't get his permission.

I would be intersted in knowing your (reasonable) opinions on what can be done, if anything, to get things a little more lively around here.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
Quote this message in a reply
11-17-2008, 02:39 PM,
RE: Is anybody out there??
Hey DK,
I will throw in my 2 cents.
1. I know that BF has stated that they are not going to support CM anymore, but I think that the idea that the game is as good as dead is just not correct. I know that there are some (one in particular) members of the community that like to lament at the demise of CM, but I think that date is a long way away. I think that eventually CMC will come out and that will bring back a lot of excitement and maybe even a pledge of support.
2. Your not missing anything from your banned members. They were counter productive. To invite them back because things are quiet would be a big mistake.
3. Very true. There are a lot of clubs out there and they are doing their own things. I also belong to the FGM and spend the majority of my time there. But I am a CM player that likes tournaments and the FGM has them a plenty. I don't think it is a bad thing that there are multiple clubs out there.
4. I personally think that the ladder is what keeps the Blitz healthy. Lets face it, it is the best ladder around. And lets face it, the Blitz doesn't have a lot to attract players. Tournaments are rare with the exception of POS tournaments. Mikey came out and did an infection tournament and barely had anyone even sign up for it. Mikey could have run that same tourney at the FGM and had triple the participation but he decided to run it over here. But no one really supported it. A shame because it was pretty fun.
Back to the ladder. I don't think everyone is on a quest to get to the top of it. I don't even report all my games and have no intention on making a run for the all time points leader. The ladder is just a good way to see how you stack up against other players etc. It is not a true measure of a players skill but it gives you an idea.

I agree that as far as tactical posts go, it really has kind of all been said. POS has the definetive set of tactics threads which answer damn near every question you could have about the game mechanics. As far as tactics go, that is just something you pick up along the way over the course of dozens of games.

The one thing that you didn't mention is the time of the year. I bet it is about 90% of your problem as far as how quiet it is. Winter is closing in, everyone is preparing and gaming time is low. Hunting season, football season, the holidays etc. It is just a slow time for gaming right now. A natural slow down time. I think you will see things pick back up in the next few weeks.

Thats all I have for now.

Lord Bane (FGM)
11-17-2008, 02:42 PM,
I would say #2 has a good bit to do with the tumbleweeds blowing through.

Mike
11-17-2008, 02:49 PM,
Lord Bane Wrote:4. I personally think that the ladder is what keeps the Blitz healthy. Lets face it, it is the best ladder around. And lets face it, the Blitz doesn't have a lot to attract players. Tournaments are rare with the exception of POS tournaments. Mikey came out and did an infection tournament and barely had anyone even sign up for it. Mikey could have run that same tourney at the FGM and had triple the participation but he decided to run it over here. But no one really supported it. A shame because it was pretty fun.
I have my own issues with theBlitz ladder, but off that for now, why do you think that the tourny response is worse here then other sites?
11-17-2008, 03:01 PM,
Until recently, the FGM was the tournament center for the Blitz. Those of us who wanted to play tournaments went there because the Blitz didn't have any. And the ones that the Blitz does host are usually so slow that they are not worth participating in IMHO.
So now the Blitz is full of members who don't seem to be interested in tournaments. Because anyone who was, joined the FGM. The FGM has tournaments running non-stop and that keeps us healthy.

Bane
11-17-2008, 03:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-17-2008, 03:31 PM by Der Kuenstler.)
Well maybe that's all we are meant to be here - the place where a great ladder is and where you can post for games. Perhaps that's just our niche and that's not a bad thing necessarily.

I'm not sure about the time of year thing though - although I wish that was it. Last Summer some were saying it was slow because the weather was good and everyone was on vacation. So when's the "good" time of year?
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
11-17-2008, 03:15 PM,
The "Good time" of year for me is probably from January to April. But I live in Michigan and we spend a lot of the winter indoors. I do think there is a summer slow down too.
Bane
11-17-2008, 06:44 PM,
The current Blitz all-time ladder view discourages new players, who look at the huge scores on page one and give up - when they realize it would take 5+ years to get to that page.....No 4
---------------------------------------------

Looking at No 4 on the list, I for one don't judge my performance on page one, I have said this before that the competition in the lower part of the table changes all the time and remains pretty fierce, so any new player or not so new take heart and go beyond the first page.

Also I for one take nothing away from the guy's on page one good luck and well done.

Take part all though's people who just look at the Board, There must be some thing you can add, comment's are alway's welcome.

cheers Ted
REAL OPPONENTS SEE THE BATTLE OUT TO THE END, WINNING OR LOSING
11-17-2008, 11:12 PM,
It's only by it's own high standards that the board seems empty, it's still as far as the Blitz goes one of if not the busiest. And also see concerted effort by Blitz staff to move anything not directly relating to CM onto seperate boards.
If it's not an advert for a game or looking for help with a problem, there's not much to post on the main board anymore.
11-18-2008, 12:11 AM,
Der Kuenstler Wrote:4) The current Blitz all-time ladder view discourages new players, who look at the huge scores on page one and give up - when they realize it would take 5+ years to get to that page.
The monthly ladder leader yoke posted here is a good antidote to that.

Most people have no chance of getting to page 1 of the ladder, but they've a good chance to getting onto the monthly ladder leader...all they've to do is play 10 games a year.

But like the Stuka in WWII, while CM might be obsolete, this baby will be kept in service until a better replacement comes along.
And I haven't seen any sign of that happening.cheers