• Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Tournamets
05-17-2009, 03:06 AM,
Tournamets
Are there any tournaments in the works?
Like to sign up for one.
Anythink!?
Haven't played in one for quite some time.. :-)
Quote this message in a reply
05-17-2009, 06:42 AM,
RE: Tournamets
You are in the M&M tournament! (see tournaments)
Owl
05-17-2009, 09:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-17-2009, 10:14 AM by Mad Baron.)
I'm working on something now, that might become a mini-tournament, or maybe just a small invitational set of battles.

I have noticed many QB ME's simply become a mad dash to sit on the arbitrary flags first, which then quickly just becomes a Probe game, without one side having the advantage of the additional purchase points to un-seat the flag-sitter.

So I am working on a battle map that will be a 2-in-1 battle, somewhat in the spirit of Poor Old Spike's very fun Trident Tourney some months ago (he had 3 different sectors--city, village, and rural battlegrounds, if I remember right).

I am working on a map divided by a line of cliffs (it is intended to be 2 distinct and separate battles, but played at the same time). One side is a rural forested area, that also includes an island where assault boats could be used to set up over-watch units. The other side-by-side battle features a small town, complete with local factory, etc.

The kicker is, there will be NO flags. The battle area is fairly small, and the idea will be to tactically search out and destroy your opponent the best you can (only final casualty points will decide a winner).

I have no clue how to make this a tournament like POS used to do, with official Award icons to go to the entrants' personal page, etc. And I won't have the energy to make regular screen shots and battle reports, etc., etc. But it is something I'm working on nevertheless....

:chin:

Attached Files
.jpg   2_in_1.jpg (Size: 83.43 KB / Downloads: 36)
"Never put off till tomorrow what you can avoid doing entirely."
05-17-2009, 12:29 PM,
Looks good, think it will work for the woods but the town will probably be whoever gets to the heavy buildings first wins as they provide the best cover and so should take less casualties.

Even if you don't run the tourney i'd like to have the maps so i could play them if thats ok.[/u]
05-17-2009, 02:38 PM,
Good point about getting into the small town first, but again, you won't get any points just by doing that, and both sides should be able to get there about the same time, if that's what they decide to do.

Points to win the battle(s) in the end will only be gained by maneuvering and killing more enemy than you lose yourself, since there are no flags.

But it is a project still in the works! = )

I see it as maybe a 1500 point, or so, Mech game in the end. Units to be divided between the two fronts as one sees fit. (And it is maybe ready to try that out now already!)

I'll send you the map I've made so far... ;)
(my practice/test map has 1 small flag now, only for checking LOS and such easier, but there won't be any flags in the final game, and you can edit it out to test the current game yourself)

Good Hunting!

~~MB
05-17-2009, 10:29 PM,
Good idea, a battle without flags, but:
I think it will have consequences for the force selection. It will result in more heavy guns / arty witch will inflict many more casualties.
That's why I have in my next tournament M&M have setup zones for infantry between the setup zone of the opponent and the flags. Now it can not be a race to this flags because you have a fair change to be ambushed!
greets Owl
05-18-2009, 12:58 AM,
Mech forces on a map that small could be interesting, but i personally think it probably suits inf only/combined arms.
05-19-2009, 03:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-19-2009, 03:45 AM by Mad Baron.)
That's been a concern of mine...needing bigger guns, etc. (esp. in the town). Still a work in progress! : )

An ambush possibility (setup zone) is a nice idea for preventing the rush for the flags! The mad dash only works in the average ME because you know your opponent is on the far side of the map.

(I would try the M&M Tourney, but can't run CMAK anymore!)
05-19-2009, 10:33 AM,
Sorry to bump this up to the top again, and it will be the last time.

But I wanted to add...besides no flags, what I think might make this sort of map interesting to play on, is that it is 2 different battles at the same time, and whatever units one decides to purchase has to be split between both battles, and you will not be able to alter that placement later.

Almost like grand strategy planning...how much to devote to this front as opposed to another front?...and how will I run each of them? :conf:
05-20-2009, 03:33 AM,
This was already part of one of POS his tournaments. Both battles on 1 map were seperated by a river!
Owl