• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Tournamets
05-20-2009, 09:21 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-20-2009, 09:21 PM by Fullhouse.)
RE: Tournamets
I would be very interested in a no Flags battle/tourney.

I think the following would have to be implemented though.

1: Realistic/balanced force picks for both sides, dont let it be human purchase but pre decided by GM. Say an organic battalion with some armour.

2: Instead of flags, the map should contain natural terrain features that if occupied will provide a tactical advantage to whomever occupies them, however these could be given good approaches so that there could be too and fro over these features over the course of a battle. A commander will have to balance the advantages of these features against how much material he is willing to sacrifice to hold/take them.

3: NO TURN LIMIT The battle should proceed until there is an agreed ceasefire or an auto one. This will force commanders to implement ammo conservation and for me would remove one of the most artificial factors in most games. This would force commanders to think in ways that the standard QB never does, even to the point where they may have to retreat off the map to limit the extent of the loss, (to avoid auto surrender or being totally destroyed) something that happened all the time in real combat.

4: Mirrored.
Quote this message in a reply
05-21-2009, 12:50 AM,
Fullhouse, look at the "Little Saturn" Op. that is just starting. You might be interested.
05-24-2009, 08:56 AM,
Well, I need to update this one last time.

There is a central chink in my plan to have a 2-in-1 QB battle map with no flags at all. When you load a map (that you made yourself) as a QB--even with NO flags in it--the game engine automatically sticks random flags into the game anyway!!?? So apparently you cannot design a QB game that will have no flags. :(

I liked POS's old Trident Tourney with 3 battles in 1, but felt 2-in-1 would be sufficient for my purposes. And...I wanted to try it with zero flags, where, like Fullhouse said, key terrain would be the natural tactical ''objectives'' to gain. Also like his idea of no time limit at all (so I guess just set the turns to something like 100); both sides fight as long as they feel they can in order to gain the upper hand, or decide when they need to withdraw.

Since my idea with no flags seems to have to be a scenario, I suppose that also dictates that units for both sides have to be pre-purchased for both sides, which might require a mirrored battle, to handle any unexpected game imbalances.

Back to the drawing board!.....:stir:
"Never put off till tomorrow what you can avoid doing entirely."
05-24-2009, 12:19 PM,
MB - you have to put a flag on the map - like over to the side behind a large river or lake or something so neither side can get close enough to influence it. (80+ meters away from either side) Then the computer will not add flags.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
05-24-2009, 05:02 PM,
Vielen dank, Herr Kuenstler!

I'm back in business easy enough now! ;)

~~MB
06-02-2009, 09:16 AM,
This is apparently much harder than I thought!!!??? :conf:

I wanted to design a map with no flags for a QB ME (actually 2 seperate game fields side-by-side). But, you have to at least place 1 flag somewhere that can't be controlled so that the game AI doesn't place it's own flags anyway (at least for a QB)--and I set up something like a little volcano in one corner--cliffs all around, with the small flag inside the hole. I think that would've worked fine.

Then someone suggested pre-purchased forces would be fun, with no battle time limit, and it could be a mirror game anyway (making it a Scenario). Despite having designated setup zones for each side, pre-purchased units show up on my map all along their side of the map, in and out of the zones. So do I have to actually place all pre-purchased units or something? Each side will not get to balance which zone they want their units to begin in?

I didn't want this to be so complicated. Maybe I should just go back to the beginning and have my map be for QB's where each side picks it own forces....but might they then also begin the game in and out of designated set-up zones???

:eek1:

Attached Files
.jpg   test2.jpg (Size: 89.45 KB / Downloads: 7)