• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

A campaign...
03-30-2013, 08:21 AM,
A campaign...
with it being Easter and having a few days off, i thought about putting a few ideas for a campaign into practice.

would anyone be interested?

and what would be a preference?
a) for timeframe/period in the war? I'm thinking CMBB so '41 to '45. so early war barbarossa? or the mid war battles? or late war 44 onwards...

and b) would a quick battle or custom battle (with maybe unbalanced forces) style/format be preferred?

I'm not sure how many people are playing these days so i need an idea of size and scope. however, although i need battles finished (obviously), i wouldn't expect full time commitment. (you could play a battle then maybe miss two and then maybe rejoin...)

anyway. it would be interesting to get some thoughts.

much appreciated.
Quote this message in a reply
03-30-2013, 10:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-31-2013, 12:34 AM by goomohn.)
RE: A campaign...
Op. Citadel to Bagration. Small 15 minute 4 battle operations.

I'd join either side.
03-30-2013, 09:37 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-30-2013, 09:39 PM by Mr Yormsha.)
(03-30-2013, 10:40 AM)goomohn Wrote: Op. Citadel to Bagration. Small 15 minute 4 battle operations.

OK noted. any one else?

(just to be clear, i was thinking of organising a big campaign game. a series of linked CM battles which i would umpire)
03-30-2013, 09:46 PM,
Time frame does not matter, small custom battles.
03-31-2013, 11:44 AM,
yep I'd be interested !

cheers
03-31-2013, 05:26 PM,
I would be interested in any CMBB operation, including un-balanced historical settings as long as we have some agreement about how to record the games. Just about any size is OK.
"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal[Image: pzV.jpg]
04-01-2013, 07:36 AM,
any advance on 4?
04-02-2013, 01:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-02-2013, 07:41 AM by goomohn.)
With small maps say 800x2000 meters advance and assault operations can be accomplished. Battalion sized forces. ~1.5:1 ratio on assault ~1.25:1 on advance. You can even edit in a second line defense of fortifications when the assaulting force has tripped a certain point (say over the horizon or through the woods).

I'd keep no man's land pretty low 400m open, 240m forested, 80m inclimate weather; because of the shorter map. All forces should probably be on the map by the 2nd battle. I said citadel to bagration because those are fairly advanced forces on the central front. The Germans and Soviets attacked and counterattacked in pretty equal measure till bagration and the breakthrough.
04-02-2013, 07:17 AM,
I made one. Based on the German northern pincer during Op. Citadel. Don't know how balanced it is.
04-05-2013, 06:06 AM,
I seem to have created some confusion as to what i had in mind. so apologies all round, but this is what was spinning around in my head:

The sort of thing I had in mind:

Two teams. One Axis, one Soviet.

There’s an overall strategic map, with teams forces (divided into units) and approximations of opposing teams forces.

Each team plots, moves and plans for (lets say for example) 4 days worth of action. Objectives for units are set and commands issued.

So for example. ‘The axis commander would like unit A to move to cross such and such river at point ‘x’. Unit B follows unit A and uses this bridgehead unit A has created to take town ‘y’. Unit ‘C’ follows unit B and then heads north to the sea and takes up a defensive position cutting off retreating forces. The airforce will be used 60% to attack enemy airfields, and 40% to support forward units. Forgoing too much recon, units will move off asap.

I then add a healthy dose of ‘Fog of War’ and as umpire I then work out how the CM battles are configured.

I’ll set up the map/the forces and reinforcement times. (unit positions on my map and die rolls are used)

I was thinking of an early war encounter, purely because you’d get more CM units per point.

(I’d like to keep the battles relatively small and fast moving. 1250 points across 23+ turns…)

I save the game in the set up phase and send that file to the first player. (that way no one gets to view the forces, its all completely blind.)

After the battles are completed, I then figure out what happened to the commanders plans on both sides...

Feed back information to both teams. And plans are set for the next ‘turn’.

I’m thinking of keeping it short. Maybe just the three ‘turns’.

I like all the suggestions, and they're all worth pursuing, and i'm happy to chat (via PM or email) and knock stuff about a bit if its any help.

and apologies again for the rather vague post opener...

anyone interested?

regards.

simon.