• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

The Competition & Teaser Thread
02-18-2014, 07:35 AM,
RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread
(02-18-2014, 07:10 AM)Kuriltai Wrote:
Quote:It's weird that the area was pinpointed fairly early on, but that we could only match the dispositions to a map now as every map seems to give different dispositions. I guess the violence with which 6th Guards Army was pushed out of the way made detailed estimates or specifications of where everybody was difficult.

The RR graphic and our thinking that the OOB screenshots had something to do with it was what took us so long.Other-wise we were all over that sucker.
That's my story and I'm sticking with it. Big Grin

I highly recommend the Nipe book.It's big$$ but some new conclusions and great maps.In spite of the title,covers 48PzC and 3PzC as well.If I had a choice between Glantz and Nipe,I would take Nipe.(Can't say that very often).

I saw that you had mentioned July 8th in the beginning of your posts but then you moved onto another day.....I was talking to my monitor Wink
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
Quote this message in a reply
02-18-2014, 10:39 AM,
Kuriltai wrote

Quote:I highly recommend the Nipe book.It's big$$ but some new conclusions and great maps.In spite of the title,covers 48PzC and 3PzC as well.If I had a choice between Glantz and Nipe,I would take Nipe.(Can't say that very often).

This Nipe's book Blood, Steel and Myth is a must have for Kursk, but also a must is the V. Zamulin book "Demolishing the Myth". It is a fantastic book on Prokhorovka and covers the fighting with II SS PzK from the 5th to 15th.

Count down should begin as we are in the final review stages!

Michael
02-18-2014, 11:19 AM,
(02-18-2014, 10:39 AM)rzhev42 Wrote: Kuriltai wrote

Quote:I highly recommend the Nipe book.It's big$$ but some new conclusions and great maps.In spite of the title,covers 48PzC and 3PzC as well.If I had a choice between Glantz and Nipe,I would take Nipe.(Can't say that very often).

This Nipe's book Blood, Steel and Myth is a must have for Kursk, but also a must is the V. Zamulin book "Demolishing the Myth". It is a fantastic book on Prokhorovka and covers the fighting with II SS PzK from the 5th to 15th.

Count down should begin as we are in the final review stages!

Michael

Yep, 2 more weeks
Rangers Lead the Way
02-18-2014, 12:20 PM,
(02-18-2014, 06:25 AM)Tide1 Wrote: Here you go gents

Obstacle hexes cost the full movement allowance of units to enter,
but cause no casualties.
Barbwire included

Explain?

So basically a unit enters an obstacle hex and that ends their turn?

No casualties are inflicted on them to move thru a minefield or barbwire?

Do they at least need the proper equipment ie mine rolls, wire cutters, mine detectors, etc.....?

Even in Squad Battles these can cause casualties or pin a squad?
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."
02-18-2014, 01:04 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-18-2014, 01:27 PM by Aaron.)
(02-18-2014, 12:20 PM)Richie61 Wrote:

but cause no casualties.
Barbwire included

Explain?

Do they at least need the proper equipment ie mine rolls, wire cutters, mine detectors, etc.....?

Obstacles and minefields are completely different. No mention of minefields above.
Rangers Lead the Way
02-18-2014, 01:33 PM,

but cause no casualties.
Barbwire included

Explain?

Obstacles impede movement. You need to be adjacent and use your full movement allowance to move into them. There is no cost to leave. They can only be cleared by engineers. There is no 'breached' status like in PzC due to the scale. In PzC's with 1km hexes it is easy to clear a path in a two hour period. In PzB's the requirement is to clear the hex.

Minefields only cost the normal cost of terrain to enter but will reduce the units available movement points by at least 1/3 of the original movement allowance. Casualties will be determined both on entering and leaving the hex. Minefields can't be breached and must be cleared by mine engineers. Minefields also block supply, so a unit in or beyond a minefield is considered isolated.

David
02-18-2014, 01:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-18-2014, 01:44 PM by Richie61.)
(02-18-2014, 01:04 PM)tazaaron Wrote:

but cause no casualties.
Barbwire included

Explain?

Obstacles and minefields are completely different. No mention of minefields above.

Edit. David answered as I was typing! Big Grin

What about the UI and key commands?

I find the history lessons nice, but from a possible customer willing to purchase this title, I would rather hear about how the game operates and how things effect units and game play. :)
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."
02-18-2014, 02:20 PM,
Hi All,

Well as you have probably guessed we are getting ever closer to release date. We are working through the last details and checking/testing some of the latest code changes to make certain they don't break anything. The game has been thoroughly tested but please note that this is a brand new series and items may have slipped through. We're certain that you'll all be vocal if you find something wrong!!! Helmet Wink

On current time lines, I expect that we will announce the winner(s) for this Blitz competition this weekend. Before you get your hopes up, this WILL precede release but not by much.

I'm also hopeful that we can start sharing the documentation in detail with you beforehand. I can confirm the new user manual will be available as a free download on the JTS site from release day. Anyone sitting on the fence will have a chance to look over it.

There will actually be a lot of documentation provided for free review. All the following will also be available in the game download;

Panzer Battles User Manual (~100 pages)
Getting Started Guide (25 pages)
FAQ & Designers Notes (80 pages)
Planning map pack (18 large scale maps - see a small example in the next post)
Visual Order of Battle (~60 pages and beautiful!)
Game map at zoom level 2 with units (42mb JPG file)
Game map at zoom level 2 without units (42mb JPG file)

All the above will be available for free download on game release day.

David
02-18-2014, 02:30 PM,
Hello David:

What do you mean by:
"Game map at zoom level 2 with units (42mb JPG file)"

There are 18 large scale maps. How this this relate to the quote above? Is the quoted item another planning map for each scenario?

Thanks,

Gerry
02-18-2014, 02:53 PM,
Looks like a helpful pack of documents, thanks.