• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Counterbattery fire in SYW may be too effective....
08-07-2024, 04:53 PM,
c_Question Mark  Counterbattery fire in SYW may be too effective....
Hi Gentlemen,

I recently played a head-to-head game of SYW (files attached below, Prussian password: Gutt mit uns) where, in the 8th turn, nearly 66 Prussian guns knocked out 9 Russian guns in just one turn (15 minutes of real time). Both sides thought it was quite crazy.
Frederick the Great on the Art of War says that

I must mention two other main mistakes common to all artillery: (1) it fires primarily against the opposing artillery and attempts to silence his guns; and (2) it seeks to site its guns on the highest ground found on the battlefield in order to stretch the range. Both are pernicious prejudices, and you
must in fact do just the opposite.
In considering the first mistake, you must direct your entire attention and all of your fire on smashing the lines of enemy infantry, throwing them into disorder, delaying their advance, and preventing their orderly movements. When you have ac- complished this, the enemy infantry will soon be defeated and his artillery, left alone, will be silent and will fall into your hands.

Given this historical perspective, I believe that counter-battery fire during that period should not be as effective as it is in the current version of SYW. If it remains as is, the attacker's guns will be knocked out by the defender's before the infantry and cavalry can charge. This issue might stem from the artillery-fire strength parameter being too low (in SYW 4.04, it's 50; in Leipzig 4.08, it's 80) or the Weapon Data of the guns being too high, making the guns in SYW akin to glass cannons and the primary target for enemy artillery fire.

Is this historically accurate? What's your opinion? Looking forward to your reply [Image: icon_e_smile.gif]

Regards
Hairen

Attached Files
.zip   SYW 005 H2H Game.zip (Size: 453.89 KB / Downloads: 1)
Quote this message in a reply