• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Why people don't post...
11-30-2006, 05:56 AM,
Why people don't post...
I can understand why so few people post game tips and tactics on this MB. It is generally a place where the only posts you find are for those wanting games or posts looking for awol opponents. Good game tips and strategy opinions are scarce. Three main reasons I know of are:

1) Fear of criticism. As you can see by my "speed" post last week - I was immediately brushed off and everyone was referred to another site where all the REAL experts are. Along with that were all the cries of "that would never work" blah blah blah. However, I believe that everyone knows SOMETHING about this game that I don't, and I wish everyone was actually encouraged more to share their ideas. Yes - even new players should share what they know - it helps them feel a part of the club. So what if YOU knew it already - somebody else might not have. But no new guy is going to write anything when they fear being tongue-whipped by the old icons of ladder glory. I've been lashed before for jumping on new players with game offers, and I admit now I probably deserved it. I've been mending my ways there. We DO need to help new players more. But how about when we jump on someone new who has a game tip and make them feel like a total idiot? Or don't respond at all - like we're saying "who are you?" We can disgree nicely - in a way that will encourage more sharing. Also, why does every opposing view have to end with a showdown - "Oh yeah - let's battle - you do it your way and I'll do it mine and we'll SEE who knows best." Get real - we all know the terrain and weather usually decide what's best more than our own pet tactics.

2) Sideshows - The name calling should totally stop - that's for sure. If you don't agree with an idea, you could say "I see how you could think that way BUT IN MY EXPERIENCE..." and state your point. There is no need to get personal - we are discussing THE GAME and how it works. It's amazing how hard it is for some of us to get along when we all like this game so much - this specialty game that you can't even find on most store shelves. That should be an immediate bond right there - the game itself - that's what we could be talking about instead of who said what about who.

3) The competition factor - Because this is a competitive ladder site, there's the chance that if I tell you what I know, you might use that information to beat me some day. That's true - however, if you become willing to tell me what you know, we're even again, and we're both better players. AND we've gained a closer friendship, which is really better than a computer ladder rung anyway. Something I've learned after being here over a year - NOBODY REALLY CARES ABOUT YOUR RECORD BUT YOU. So, believe me, jumping up and down and celebrating your amazing W-L record is pretty hollow and empty when no one else is cheering. Wouldn't it better to celebrate the game itself by sharing the ideas we come up with to help make each other better? And really - don't you think most guys here have shortcuts to those other MB sites on our computers anyway - are we really learning any "classified secrets" over there that no one knows here? Maybe a few newbies that don't know the links yet, that's all.

Lastly I want to say I'm very thankful for this site and its officers - you've helped me fill up many an otherwise dismal hour on the vitual battlefield. I believe the Blitz could easily be the best site on the net for opponent finding AND learning if we could all band together and contribute to make it happen.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Why people don't post... - by Der Kuenstler - 11-30-2006, 05:56 AM
RE: Why people don't post... - by Fullhouse - 11-30-2006, 06:32 AM
RE: Why people don't post... - by Copper - 11-30-2006, 06:33 AM
RE: Why people don't post... - by RedDevil - 11-30-2006, 06:48 AM
RE: Why people don't post... - by GreenHornet - 11-30-2006, 07:27 AM
RE: Why people don't post... - by Zemke - 11-30-2006, 07:43 AM
RE: Why people don't post... - by ATCS - 11-30-2006, 08:24 AM
RE: Why people don't post... - by Copper - 11-30-2006, 08:34 AM
RE: Why people don't post... - by Kil Roy - 12-01-2006, 04:18 AM
RE: Why people don't post... - by Kil Roy - 12-01-2006, 04:24 AM