• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

The Best!
12-31-2006, 02:32 AM,
RE: The Best!
"Drive to Bastgne" is the all time classic for me. It was that scn that made me realize that CS could be more than just game, but could be a tool to visualize (although abstracted) and understand certain events better.

What I like about DESIGNING historical scenarios is that you really have to study the events, a bit like writing a book. You will compare various sources. Wonder about them, try to fit in missing pieces and last but not least, the topographical knowledge of the terrain you learn and the all out importance of it as you make the map. IMO terrain is dominant in the course of events in most battles. When you get the terrain right, the rest of the scn design is not that hard to steer.

What I like about PLAYING historical scns is, when you see illustrated what was determinating the course of events, no matter if you win or lose. As example I recently designed a CM operation, but just making the map and putting the right OOB on the board. I had even walked the route in reality, but that was really just a nice walk in snowy northern Ardennes with beautiful nature surrounding. Then when I started playing the operation, the choking points for advancing combat troops, immediately surfaced. These choking points, or bottlenecks, whatever is proper english, were the same as they had been in reality (determined by the terrain, creeks, trails etc).

So for me a good scn gives that bit extra view on events that is hard to illustrate from reading, or even from map study and a battlefield tour.

We are lucky to have quite a few designers here at the Blitz who have designed some masterpieces that give you that view.

Huib

Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
The Best! - by Valor - 12-28-2006, 10:44 PM
RE: The Best! - by Big Dawg - 12-28-2006, 11:39 PM
RE: The Best! - by Von Earlmann - 12-30-2006, 08:46 AM
RE: The Best! - by RedDevil - 12-30-2006, 09:16 AM
RE: The Best! - by Don Fox - 12-30-2006, 10:46 AM
RE: The Best! - by Huib Versloot - 12-31-2006, 02:32 AM
RE: The Best! - by majog - 01-02-2007, 11:00 PM
RE: The Best! - by Full Auto - 01-04-2007, 02:23 AM
RE: The Best! - by Von Luck - 01-04-2007, 09:22 AM