• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

German Div HQ ranges in Smolensk?
02-13-2008, 07:37 AM,
RE: German Div HQ ranges in Smolensk?
I think the pupose was to simulate the divisions working off on their own. A large command range would preclude the German player in S41 from having to even consider the problems in detaching a panzer division to go smashing around the Russian flanks.
The new rules concerning artillery effectiveness and detached units will curb some of the most flagrant Axis abuses of power in S41, making this title a much more fun game for the Russian player.

For the most part S41 is a corps level game. Keep your corps, Axis or Russian together and you will fair better than if you do not.

I also highly recommend the VST rule in any CG of S41. Even in the medium scenarios, the VST rule keeps the Axis player honest. The further away form the main arteries into the hinterland the Germans go to spread the Russian defense, the better simulation of the logistics trade off of keeping such Axis forces at optimal combat effectiveness.
There are several key area where rivers must be crossed. Without a logistics rule like VST the Germans can do some very weird things to cross the rivers as if they were no obstacle at all.
I do not know why there is not a supply point in Smoensk proper. Historically the city fell rather easily, though the Russians fought tough for the vodka factory! I would have thought the city, if surrounded or bypassed was prepared to hold out like Mogliev did.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
German Div HQ ranges in Smolensk? - by Mr Grumpy - 02-13-2008, 06:44 AM
RE: German Div HQ ranges in Smolensk? - by Dog Soldier - 02-13-2008, 07:37 AM