• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

DIRECT FIRE
03-31-2008, 10:56 AM,
RE: DIRECT FIRE
Pip, don't forget that one should only use SPA's (self propelled artillery) for scoot and shoot if you are CERTAIN there will be no op-fire from the enemy. SPA's have poor armor.

Also, in many cases, indirect fire will cause more damage. Only if you see enemy units loaded, or in open terrain, is scooting/shooting warranted, and even then, only sparingly. Most of the time, it's simply not worth the risk. Also, your opponent will quickly become aware of the presence and TYPE of guns when you scoot and shoot with SPA's, especially if he hadn't been watching earlier for unspotted hex "muzzle flashes." I.E., attacking this way leaves no doubt at all in the mind of your opponent as to what kinds of enemy artillery are in that area. Deception should be a big part of any player's strategy.

Hell, you might even want to load up non-mobile artillery (when they become low on ammo is best) and move them closer to the action, particuarly if the front is moving further from the guns. I say this not only because attack factors are higher when the target is closer, but also becuase some players (like me) look for "muzzle flashes" in "3D extreme zoom-out" (view 3) mode. This is done so as to enable me to start blind-shelling enemy artillery locations. These places usually have unarmored transports nearby (their carriers) and HQ's as well, so it's always good to keep your enemy guessing as to where your artillery assets are. When you do set up your artillery, try to set up in places that give a good defensive value - city, village, forest, and wadi are good spots.

Most of my opponents think I'm a bit too cautious, and perhaps it's true. It does win me games though, so I'm not about to stop it. ;)
Thus, what is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Sun Tzu
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
DIRECT FIRE - by Pip Roberts - 03-28-2008, 08:01 AM
RE: DIRECT FIRE - by K K Rossokolski - 03-28-2008, 06:09 PM
RE: DIRECT FIRE - by John Given - 03-31-2008, 10:56 AM
RE: DIRECT FIRE - by Pip Roberts - 04-01-2008, 05:18 AM