• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

First impression report Attacking disrupted units
07-13-2008, 08:04 AM,
RE: First impression report Attacking disrupted units
Hobbes Wrote:One more vent on 1.03 before I go to bed.

The few scenarios I have made I hope are realistic. Certainly I know what units are present but you can't know exactly what hex every unit would
have occupied so given what hopefully is an historical OOB you place them in the sort of positions they would have chosen to occupy themselves
given the terrain. AT guns especially would take positions knowing the terrain and visibility. On a clear summers day they would not expect the visibility to change much. Now suddenly they find the visibility has changed yet they are unable to reposition themselves quickly enough to avoid enemy artillery raining down.

AT guns are the most obvious losers in this situation but all defending units can suffer - it only takes one hex of extra visibility to destroy the
designers careful game setup. As I mention fixed units can also suffer badly.

I'm now thinking that I may have to change the scenarios I have made to make the visibility 15 (from 12) to avoid the variable LOS change and reposition a few units. I doubt many scenarios will get this treatment.

Cheers, Chris

Chris,
I would leave it at 12 initially (for Hell's Corner) and see how it works out. Longer visibilty does not often make a scn better. I'm not going to make any changes to my scns, at least not for the time being. Played quite a few turns today against Cole and Otlig with 1.03. Still in the process of forming an opinion but so far the assault rules are not affecting the games in a negative way, in one of the scns (**The French in Holland) they even contribute to the quality very clearly. It has a map with a lot of space on it, and the Germans may have had an easy task to do the surround, disrupted, assault routine on the French pockets over and over in the previous version.
It's just like Earl said. Try to be a good commander. I don't gamble on things anymore that unrealistically worked 100% of the time before.

Huib
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: First impression report Attacking disrupted units - by Huib Versloot - 07-13-2008, 08:04 AM