• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

First impression report Attacking disrupted units
07-15-2008, 03:18 AM,
RE: First impression report Attacking disrupted units
Von Earlmann Wrote:There may be glitches in the assault rule which as has been said before can be fixed. Let's do a little history lesson. When EF originally came out the assault rules were similar to what they are now. Units did nit have to be disrupted and wether they were or nor the assualt might work or not depending on the odds,factors and tables.Then Talonsoft came out with EF II and all of a sudden a unit that was not disrupted was virtually impossible to take out. I still remember my shock at assaulting a 4 sp rifle platoon with 3 MKIV full strength platoons in the open (where the tank is still king) and being repulsed. This feature was in fact shoved down our throats by Talonsoft. There were a lot of complaints (on deaf ears I might ad) and a lot of us myself included almost quit. I stuck it out but to this day I hate the rule that everyone else assumes was the original. Give it a chance guys.

There were a few men in a small mission in Texas that repulsed assults for about 13 days.I like the uncertainty of things....kind of like real life....one never knows what might happen :-)

VE

While the uncertainty probably does better reflect real life, one problem I see is compatibility with old scenarios. If it is going to take significantly longer to reduce and/or assault enemy positions, then I think the attacker is going to run out of time in a lot of the old scenarios, especially the shorter ones with 10-15 turns. That will really unbalance them particularly for the Soviets who to me rely a little more on assault tactics since their infantry and MGs are much less effective at direct fire.

I've already had 2-3 platoons of soviet SMG platoons (5-6 SPs each) repulsed multiple time by a 4SP disrupted infantry platoon. Once when they were isolated and attacked from multiple directions. The German's chief benefit apparently being they were one terrain level higher in woods.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: First impression report Attacking disrupted units - by Mike Abberton - 07-15-2008, 03:18 AM