• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Call me a pedantic old bore, but.....
07-16-2008, 03:54 PM,
RE: Call me a pedantic old bore, but.....
I am well aware of the role of of Combat Commands. This has nothing to do with traditional structures or non-traditional structures, nor their roles and functions.
I am merely raising an issue of incorrect terminology, or classification if you will, of organisational levels. The '45 (there may be others) Orbat for the US categorizes all organisational levels as Formations. As I described in my earlier post, this is not correct. The basis is the Unit ...Bn level. Below that, sub-units ...e.g a Coy. Above that, formations, eg a Div, or CC. Above that Command eg Pacific Command, SEA Command ...not really relevant to our game.
Strictly speaking, subunits do not have Commanders, they have Officers Commanding, although useage has erased this distinction.
Briefly, then
Sub-units...Section/Squad
Platoon
Company (or equivalent)
Unit...........Battalion (or equivalent)
Formations...Regiment/Brigade
Division
Corps
Army
Army Group
Combat Commands, very size variable, are Formations.
Commands...High level strategic combinations, often comprising more than one service. The Allied Expeditionary Force, formed to invade Europe, was the largest in history

The key distinction is the fact that Units and below are esentially homogeneous in nature eg Infantry battalion.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Call me a pedantic old bore, but..... - by K K Rossokolski - 07-16-2008, 03:54 PM