• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Scenario Design Questions?
11-12-2009, 09:35 AM,
RE: Scenario Design Questions?
For a long time, I was content to play my 35 or so games a year, feeding off the work of others. Then I started making some vaguely historical based stuff, for my own pleasure and learned a bit, although only one as I recall evergot published. For reasons I cannot now understand, I avoided true historical work or posting some of my design efforts ........ perhaps a fear of seeing my work not played or laughed at. (what did Kissinger say about his boss......."even paranoids have enemies"}
Enough of the amateur head shrinking.
I've now retired, and have plenty of time; I hope to have 30-40 scens in the game by the end of the decade. My interests are the peripherals( Albania, Manchukuo, Mongolia etc,) and some of those are already on this board available for download. A full Western Desert suite is well underway, as are some RS peripherals.
My objectives.......good history first and foremost. The basis, IMO, is a good accurate map, a point that the brilliant designer Huib has impressed on me. Some of the maps in the scenario DB are a joke. OOBs need to be close to reality, noting that this is often a bone of historical contention.

Playability...I think the bigger a scen is, the easier this is to achieve , as long as force capabilities don't differ too much. There are so many more options that might develop in a division size game than a battalion size, I think.

CS has come a long way since I first bought East Front. Much has been totally positive.......new combatant countries, new units.

Some is totally negative...the bathtub navy and the ridiculous airfield bombers, all of which IMO are unfit for a childrens' game. The threefold increase in truck VP has surely rendered historical scenario results irrelevant as a guide to how they might play today.

Some are controversial. Extreme Assault comes to mind.

And some seem unnecessary or irrelevant. Can anyone tell me the difference ..in gaming terms......between a 2 ton truck and a deuce and a half? What about a rag top vs an open top?????

That's enough talking the talk. Walking the walk means giving the club some more good (I hope) scens to play.
Back to the desert.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Scenario Design Questions? - by Jim von Krieg - 11-12-2009, 12:58 AM
RE: Scenario Design Questions? - by Chuck10mtn - 11-12-2009, 03:44 AM
RE: Scenario Design Questions? - by Von Earlmann - 11-12-2009, 07:57 AM
RE: Scenario Design Questions? - by K K Rossokolski - 11-12-2009, 09:35 AM
RE: Scenario Design Questions? - by keif149 - 11-12-2009, 09:50 AM
RE: Scenario Design Questions? - by Huib Versloot - 11-12-2009, 07:02 PM
RE: Scenario Design Questions? - by Reddog - 11-13-2009, 02:16 AM
RE: Scenario Design Questions? - by Jim von Krieg - 11-13-2009, 03:37 AM
RE: Scenario Design Questions? - by Huib Versloot - 11-13-2009, 07:02 AM