• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

New WF Scenario: First Battle of Tembien
05-04-2010, 08:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-04-2010, 09:16 PM by Kool Kat.)
RE: New WF Scenario: First Battle of Tembien
(05-04-2010, 07:03 PM)Cpl K. Kat Wrote: Again, just curious as why the balance was so difficult to achieve?

Thanks cheers

Hi Petri: :smoke:

Actually, my scenario "First Battle of Tembien" received a score of 7.79 (8 test reports) and fell a little short of H2H approval. But in the end, it was a good thing. It proved that the H2H method of developing CS scenarios works.

A scenario that is H2H approved should allow two players (of equal skill levels)... an "equal" chance of achieving a victory. In "First Battle of Tembien," between players with the same skill levels... the Italian player will win the majority of battles. Therefore, this scenario is not "balanced" in true H2H terms.

Now... to your question on achieving balance. My scenario had victory hex locations and values adjusted 3 times prior to it being submitted to H2H for "official" testing of the design. It also went through 2 revisions while in H2H development. Multiple test games demonstrated that if the Ethiopian player adopted a "passive" defense... hid in the rough hill terrain and just reacted to Italian advances... he would be defeated. Other test games demonstrated that if the Ethiopian adopted an "aggressive" defense... used "hit-and-run" tactics... threatened Italian HQ and artillery units... surrounded and attacked the Italian tankettes... then the Ethiopian player had a chance at either a "Draw" or "Minor Victory."

In addition to adjusting victory hex locations and values 3 times, there was some thought given to reducing the game turns - from 15 to maybe around 12 or so. But again, historically, the Italians were not under a time constraint... and introducing that element into the scenario seemed to be "gamey" and artificial. So; in the final game version, I "beefed" up the Ethiopian force with IP's in the victory hexes and the starting artillery positions, a calvary company and some anti-tank capability.

Historically, the Ethiopian forces had little chance against the Italian AFVs, artillery, and airpower. Several play testers knew this military history and rated the scenario balance accordingly. There were also test report comments that cautioned against adopting a completely balanced scenario since historically there existed no balance between the Ethiopian and Italian forces. However, from battle accounts I have read on this conflict, when the Ethiopians "historically" and also in "pure game terms," adopted aggressive hit-and-run tactics... and were led by capable leaders... they had a chance at a victory on the field of battle.

I believe my "First Battle of Tembien" reflects that chance rather well.
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: New WF Scenario: First Battle of Tembien - by Kool Kat - 05-04-2010, 08:47 PM