• Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Bailed Out Crews Question
08-22-2010, 11:42 AM,
RE: Bailed Out Crews Question
A good list of wishes Gibraltar.
I am afraid that is what they will remain :(

SPCAMO guys move very slowly on any changes (major ones) as the code is very old and very complex. A small, seemingly simple change can have very strange effects in other parts of the game. The old code is super spagetti!

I remember it took maybe five years of asking for barbed wire to eventually be added to the game.
The op-fire filter took about two years to happen etc.

If you ever played the original SPO games, they have improved it all a very long way over the last 10 years of development...most of those years working for free also.

Back in the day there were only 99 units per team on the map, only three different terrain heights, less OOBs, less nations, less scenarios and maps, no editing ability (or very limited compared to today) etc.

However, if you are brave Big Grin you should go to the SP forums at Shrapnel and post up your list.

You never know, they may be working on some things already, or they may have a good explaination as to whay x change will never happen.

Differentiating between crew who bail out for a scout, and those that are brew up and escape...will never happen. I bet they say that if you want scouts, buy scouts.

I like the idea re. fortifications, however they are treated like vehicles in the game, not buildings, as in they have a crew. Once a crew is dead, the vehicle is brewed up, or becomes abandoned.
Actually, the fact you can get an unsuppressed crew back into their actual vehicle / gun is quite a good feature. I have an AT gun crew in a game at the moment who I am carefully trying to get back into their gun.

Same goes for using other nations vehicle (capyured in the game)...great idea, will never happen. The code would not allow it as far as I can tell.
Each unit has 1 exact crew, no matter which team. I doubt that will ever change. It would be impoxssible to force the code to deal with that without massive issues.

Area fire direct to a building etc...they will argue that you can already do this.
A building icon in a hex is 'representative' of building structures...not the exact building. You can use z-fire to target a hex in LOS (they will say you are shooting at the whole hex rather than at an exact structure), and if you are stationary, and have decent exp and are within range, you can hit the targeted hex more times than not, causing lots of suppression. I am not sure why this is such a concern for players. If I want to target a building with z-fire that is in LOS...I can and do.

I think it is good that z-fire that goes out of LOS is far more 'scattered'.
It might be unrealistic...but it is some sort of representation of shooting at an area I guess.

Now, everyone can proceed to tell me why I am incorrect and that x and y thing all happen in real life :happy:

Anyway...it's just a wish list I guess, and good on you for posting.
However, it will always be a wish unless you get in touch with the developers.
Perhaps I am wrong about what is / is not possible (it would not be the first time :rolleyes:)...but only Andy and Don (SPCAMO) can tell you for sure.

Very good luck!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Bailed Out Crews Question - by GUNSLNGR - 08-17-2010, 01:03 PM
RE: Bailed Out Crews Question - by Walrus - 08-17-2010, 06:48 PM
RE: Bailed Out Crews Question - by Imp - 08-18-2010, 12:09 AM
RE: Bailed Out Crews Question - by GUNSLNGR - 08-18-2010, 02:30 AM
RE: Bailed Out Crews Question - by Imp - 08-18-2010, 03:50 AM
RE: Bailed Out Crews Question - by GUNSLNGR - 08-18-2010, 06:20 AM
RE: Bailed Out Crews Question - by Walrus - 08-18-2010, 11:03 AM
RE: Bailed Out Crews Question - by Gila - 08-19-2010, 08:58 AM