• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Missing Sounds in Panzer Campaigns
11-19-2010, 03:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-19-2010, 03:24 AM by Philippe.)
Missing Sounds in Panzer Campaigns
While I was testing some new images for Panzer Campaigns Smolensk I noticed that something was missing. When you send out an aerial recon mission it's conducted in absolute silence. After consulting Volcano Man I found that there are about twenty sound files that show up in the more recent titles that aren't present in Smolensk. The culprit is the air recon file, which I've added to the latest update of my Smolensk mod, and which you can get here if you don't feel like pulling apart one of your other Panzer Campaign games:

http://tfe4.wordpress.com/graphics-and-s...ps-titles/

I don't know what the other twenty-odd files do exactly, but I'm not going to worry about it until I notice something else missing or someone else notices and lets me know about it, in which the case the fix will go into my next update. That's the real reason for this post.

I've also been wondering how to get the movement sounds from the Total War Series and France 1914 into the Panzer Campaign games without having to wait six years for another full round of patches. I'll probably have to wait for the next release in the series before I start cannibalizing, but in the meantime (and also for the benefit of our Testinggruppenfuehrer) I have a few quick observations.

If you load the movement sounds from the First Blitzkrieg into a Panzer Campaigns game you get weird results. All the correct sounds are in there, but the key to which sounds get played when is obviously different. After moving three different ground units and getting helicopter sounds each time I gave up.

Then I tried loading the movement sounds from France 1914 into a Panzer Campaigns game. It almost worked. Infantry made the right crunching sound and the vehicles were either right or close enough. Not too surprising since the game engines are very similar. Then I encountered something which stopped me in my tracks: I made a motorcycle unit go on foot, and to my delight it stopped making motorcycle noises and started crunching along. But then I clicked on a light armored recon vehicle, and it made foot-crunching sounds as well. The sound type getting played was sticky, perhaps because I used the go on foot command, so I bagged the experiment.

I may have found a bug, or the programming for getting the sounds to play correctly in the Panzer Campaigns games wasn't completely in place, or maybe there's just enough difference between France 1914 and a Panzer Campaigns game to skew the movement sound effects.

I'd be really curious to know if the Sealion game has the movement sounds, and if so whether they work without a hitch when transferred to a game that's received a patch in the last year or so.

Anyone have any insights on this?
History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Missing Sounds in Panzer Campaigns - by Philippe - 11-19-2010, 03:18 AM
RE: Missing Sounds in Panzer Campaigns - by -72- - 11-20-2010, 10:18 AM
RE: Missing Sounds in Panzer Campaigns - by -72- - 11-20-2010, 10:48 AM
RE: Missing Sounds in Panzer Campaigns - by -72- - 11-20-2010, 04:09 PM
RE: Missing Sounds in Panzer Campaigns - by -72- - 11-21-2010, 08:45 AM