• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

On board aircraft
12-13-2010, 10:57 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-13-2010, 10:58 PM by Huib Versloot.)
RE: On board aircraft
(12-13-2010, 01:57 PM)Larry Reese Wrote: LOL, I like the light observation aircraft on the board, but that is it. The rest I think, as they are currently represented are too destabilizing and out of sync with the games basic presumptions (and time and distance scales). I don't have a problem with OB aircraft being susceptible to indirect fire (this was a true danger, and beaten zones were/are avoided), but being shot down by heavy artillery in a direct fire mode (such as 105mm howitzers at 3000 meters or the like) is silly. Likewise their being vulnerable to assaults. Good ideas, but not ready for prime time in their current iteration, at least now without some house rules to control how they are employed.

LR

The spotter planes contribute something in larger scenarios, where you need to have some intel on what is going on miles behind the front (The Allies especially had that type of intel). However, one should always fly them back to their own line in the same turn. These planes will not trigger op fire from anything other than small Flak. (as far as I know). So if you lose them to a mortar shell or something, it is because you left the plane in LOS after finishing your turn (they have plenty of range to return to a save spot).
So actually what Larry describes as a flaw, makes the modelling of the planes better, since it prevents endless hovering and active real time spotting for all guns in range. Spotter planes deliver snap shot intel that can be outdated the next turn. Exactly what they should do.

Other than spotter planes I'm not a great fan of on-board aircraft.

Huib
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
On board aircraft - by Jim von Krieg - 12-12-2010, 11:12 PM
RE: On board aircraft - by Kool Kat - 12-12-2010, 11:29 PM
RE: On board aircraft - by Jim von Krieg - 12-12-2010, 11:48 PM
RE: On board aircraft - by Larry Reese - 12-13-2010, 01:57 PM
RE: On board aircraft - by Huib Versloot - 12-13-2010, 10:57 PM
RE: On board aircraft - by Herr Straße Laufer - 12-13-2010, 08:25 PM
RE: On board aircraft - by junk2drive - 12-14-2010, 12:34 AM
RE: On board aircraft - by Jim von Krieg - 12-14-2010, 02:02 PM